dr2b0804

What can a 19”high cap TT hold?

So what I’m gathering from your wise thoughts is shoot for 250F-275F (to decrease cook time)and since the fat will be rendered by 195F-200F with a long cook...take them off at 200F ish and wrap them to put in a cooler and they’ll continue to cook for the few hours till the ribs are done?  Thanks to all for your help.  😊

• Like 1

Yah, that's good and you'll be playing ball in Fenway or whatever your favorite park maybe. A good sauce for one butt I may recommend is Head country---Apple Habanero, a thin sauce in the BBQ designation but, I think it compliments pork. Hey, good luck my friend, were all here to lend a hand.....a helpful group here

dr2b: I use the foil / towel / cooler method all the time with pork butt. have even kept multiple butts in the cooler for up to 6 hours post cook.

I run at 220f using BBQ guru to manage pit and meat temps with the 'ramp' feature on to mitigate overshoot on meat temp.

Bruce: re - ribs, i recommend using Big Bob Gibson's 4 stage rib recipe, that is if you like sauced ribs. turns out great every time.  my substitution is replace the foil wrap with a foil pan with several half albs in it covered with foil for the foil step; much easier.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Bruce Pearson - GO FOR IT!!! Ribs are one of the easiest BBQ cooks there is.

Up to you whether you remove the membrane on the back or not? Simple process - use a paring knife to pull up the membrane on the end bone, use a paper towel or dish cloth to grab the membrane and just pull and peel it off. It usually breaks so you'll have to do this a few times to get most of it off. Removing it helps get more seasoning into the meat. If you decide to leave the membrane on, don't bother putting rub or sauce on the backs, as it won't penetrate the meat through the membrane. 

I slather plain yellow mustard on them, then a liberal dusting of whatever rub you like, just like a pork butt. I'm not a big sauce fan, so I normally don't sauce them, but on the rare occasion that I do, wait until they are almost done before putting the sauce on so it doesn't burn. 10 - 15 minutes with sauce is generally long enough to get some mild caramelization without burning the molasses/sugar/honey in the sauce. 

Just to help out, here's a pic of the "bend test" on how you know that they are done, as they are too thin and narrow between the bones to reliably use a probe thermometer. When you see the meat pull back from the ends of the bones about 1/4", lift up the rack with a pair of tongs about a 1/3 from the end and let the weight of the rack bend the rack downward. If the meat starts to tear in the middle, they're done. 

bend_test.jpg.0798c8e19face37e4302adacf346f770.jpg

Edited by tony b
  • Like 5

On 6/19/2019 at 10:28 AM, Jon B. said:

At the risk of getting kicked off this forum....................I have to admit..............I have never cooked a rack of ribs on my KK's.  :shock:

(Redhead Sue is a flanken rib fan)

You ought to be ashamed of yourself Jon b. Snap out of it.

didn't mean to say Tony b. At first. My bad😬

Edited by Lance
Accidentally said Tony b.at first