ckreef

NuKe Delta - Fire it up!!

This is my new NuKe Delta Argentine style grill.  26" x 21" adjustable height main grate with a side Brasero (firebox). Here is the progression of the install. 

nkdA.thumb.jpg.ada6a04fc41e63f3803086dace829ae4.jpg

nkdB.thumb.jpg.31825ec9e813ade3dc9e2506812b2429.jpg

nkdC.thumb.jpg.cabbb79a4e72091ce35807622463e927.jpg

nkdD.thumb.jpg.715de5dae5bf19105ff5bf2a9b617b77.jpg

It came with a cover, ash shovel, coal rake and steel griddle that sits above the side Brasero (firebox). I also bought a porcelain coated CI pan for makeing fried provolone. 

nkdE.thumb.jpg.2a4d814452b82ada4ba81d3cb5530b99.jpg

To fire it up I have a bin of sticks from the yard for kindling and Post Oak sorted by size. 

nkdF.thumb.jpg.51db5817234d25a998acdc6bd126ea13.jpg

I decided to fire the main area and the Brasero. I stacked the wood similar to what I do in the Wood Fired Oven. 

nfdG.thumb.jpg.cc17d794ba3fbf4c655c4d4c423ffced.jpg

I fired the Brasero first immediately followed by the main area. I sit the MAPP torch down and let it go for 30 - 60 seconds. 

nkdH.thumb.jpg.c2275f0635ffa92324ae4d21f282c5dd.jpg

nkdI.thumb.jpg.006f6d9b31b05f63ece2eac112e959b0.jpg

After a few minutes it's well underway. 

nkdJ.thumb.jpg.a1f517038753b0a82fdb347ad6cd4eba.jpg

Up first was the fried provolone appetizer. Thick slice of provolone, black pepper (purple crack berries) and dried oregano with a drizzle of olive oil. Pulled some coals off to the side and cooked for 6 minutes. That was mighty tasty - Yum. An expensive little pan but it worked really well and is the perfect size. 

nkdK.thumb.jpg.298ae02ce7c18c5c08a37d79ff56dde7.jpg

nkdL.thumb.jpg.cd90a176b01e37cf03535090f70b9934.jpg

nkdM.thumb.jpg.1e71bac0145ac588d2ca1f405cac1e7b.jpg

I guess we'll call these smash potatoes on the steel griddle. A flat iron steak. 

nkdN.thumb.jpg.643e7cecb31901f44f51f4e185f79c9e.jpg

nkdO.thumb.jpg.6a332b851ecbb384701ef35cc99e3e73.jpg

A nice md rare served with homemade chimichuri sauce. Mrs skreef really liked the chimichuri sauce. I slightly miss managed the fire in the end but still came out great. Awesome grill but a small learning curve for sure. Hope you enjoyed the ride. 

nkdP.thumb.jpg.36fdc7657e655f2976f4b4c8a50abf20.jpg

• Like 12

27 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I did enjoy the ride but I'd rather a taste test, especially of the provolone. :smt060 

The provolone was the star of the show as far as I'm concerned. Super easy to do and came out great. (I think the right pan is the trick). 

That was a 1/2" thick piece of provolone. Next time I'm going a little fatter and only a minimal amount of olive oil in the bottom of the pan. The cheese has plenty of oil in it. When it's cooking the oil separates out and in the end it's a very thin piece of fried cheese. I square cut it (with a pizza cutter) like it was a mini pizza. I also have some King Arthur Pizza seasoning that I'll probably try next time instead of the oregano. 

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Tucker said:

Looks fantastic!

what is the brand of the CI pan?

I don't really know. It's made in Argentina and imported by the same people who imported the grill. I bought both from BBQguys. It's a really rustic CI pan but appears to have an old timey porcelain coating (black with white specs). Whatever the coating is it's really slick, totally non slick, doesn't require seasoning and wiped clean with a paper towel. Obviously with a wooden handle you couldn't actually put it in a grill. Also came with a wooden serving platter. 

Sort of a one trick pony but does an excellent job with it's one trick. Maybe I'll find something else to use it for. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

43 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Wow Charles your ODK has really expanded into chefs dream. That cheese is very interesting, looks yummy. The steak is looking very delicious also. I’m with Mac a taste test would be better. Nice cook as always.

TY @Bruce Pearson, really that's just a backyard chefs playground B)

The real ODK setup I want is in the $15k range and I just don't see that happening without winning the lottery. 

• Like 1

Nice set-up with everything right in front. Very impressive looking piece of meat. That puts one more notch on the BBq gun....it 'll settle in and then you'll see something, maybe on line, at a store or event and the process will begin anew...how can I get that home in the backyard. Nice toy, enjoy the heck out of it Ckreef.

The provolone was the star of the show as far as I'm concerned. Super easy to do and came out great. (I think the right pan is the trick). 
That was a 1/2" thick piece of provolone. Next time I'm going a little fatter and only a minimal amount of olive oil in the bottom of the pan. The cheese has plenty of oil in it. When it's cooking the oil separates out and in the end it's a very thin piece of fried cheese. I square cut it (with a pizza cutter) like it was a mini pizza. I also have some King Arthur Pizza seasoning that I'll probably try next time instead of the oregano. 

Looks terrific a dash of lemon myrtle would have blended in nice . Miss my asado fun way to cook

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Nice set-up with everything right in front. Very impressive looking piece of meat. That puts one more notch on the BBq gun....it 'll settle in and then you'll see something, maybe on line, at a store or event and the process will begin anew...how can I get that home in the backyard. Nice toy, enjoy the heck out of it Ckreef.

I'm definitely pushing the limit of Mrs skreef's tolerance for my grill addiction, but then again that's why they call it an addiction. 

• Haha 3

5 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Looks terrific a dash of lemon myrtle would have blended in nice . Miss my asado fun way to cook

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

You're right about that. Will try that next time. 

Edited by ckreef

I recently picked up a Gabby's Grill to try out this type of cooking.  It fits into the standard 22" Weber Kettle.  It is a fun cook with guests standing around the grill.   If you have a kettle sitting around .............it is another alternative to consider.   I bought it because I can move it to the family cottage, the boat and the house (have old kettles at each location).  Tried it with both lump and wood.   The wood burned great in my kettle. 

gabby2.jpg.f2cfea027645463fad91c3fee9e9f1ad.jpg

Gabby1.thumb.jpg.68106ad0d96042582b1944226cf55705.jpg

Edited by Jon B.
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Jon B. said:

I recently picked up a Gabby's Grill to try out this type of cooking.  It fits into the standard 22" Weber Kettle.  It is a fun cook with guests standing around the grill.   If you have a kettle sitting around .............it is another alternative to consider.   I bought it because I can move it to the family cottage, the boat and the house (have old kettles at each location).  Tried it with both lump and wood.   The wood burned great in my kettle. 

gabby2.jpg.f2cfea027645463fad91c3fee9e9f1ad.jpg

Gabby1.thumb.jpg.68106ad0d96042582b1944226cf55705.jpg

That's a kewl product. I like it. There is just something different cooking with wood. 

Just now, ckreef said:

That's a kewl product. I like it. There is just something different cooking with wood. 

Agree.  It was a lot of fun.

I cooked a tri-tip my first cook and was very happy with the results.  Didn't get a super smokey flavor from the cherry wood that I used but the flavor was there.  However we did get a great sear and crust on the meat.   

T-Roy Cooks on a Gabby's Grill  go to the 3 minute mark

• Like 1