merrill

New KK member

I just ordered a new 23" KK. and am looking forward to getting it real soon.  I live in Michigan and have been cooking on Kamados made by Richard Johnson for over 20 years.  I started with a K7 back in 1997 and purchased a K3 in around 2004, just before they shut their doors for good.  Back in 2005 I first spoke with Dennis and he helped me with some replacement parts for my K7.   Over the 20 years I have replaced many tiles but the cookers never let me down as far as cooking.  About 30 days ago I was moving the K3 so I could re stain my deck.  The bottom completely fell off.  So I decided to get a new KK.

I must admit there was a certain amount of sadness when I had to throw it out.  I had been cooking on it for 16 years.    I have a pool in the back yard and we like to have friends over to party and cook and just have a good time.  I know the K7 is on its last leg as well so in the near future I will be looking for a new smaller grill when I am just cooking for my girl friend and me.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.  Looking for something in maybe a 18" size.

I am certainly looking forward to using  the new KK..  Hopefully 15 years form now I will have many fond memories of cooking with it just like the K3 and K7.

• Like 2

125781311_quintnew.thumb.jpeg.7b75ad3499880c146de4da072310cb9e.jpegFor the record I am 63 and have been in sales all my life.  I have slowed down over the past few years and work just enough to enjoy my current lifestyle.  I like fast cars, old motor cycles, stereo equipment and grilling out with a nice grill.  Here are some of my toys.harley3.thumb.jpeg.ed190e12d7068aff20e29d41ee94af97.jpeg

1998 Porsche 993 Cab K1397 018.JPG

image2porsche.jpg

Edited by merrill
I am a 63 year old who most people feel have not grown up yet and I like toys and good food
  • Like 3

The color is a multi colored Terra Cotta.  It was a lone straggler they had found in the back.

Is it necessary to break these KK's in before you bring the temperature up like they recommended on the  old Johnson Kamados?  That may determine my first cook.  I broke my other two in with pork butts.  I think I sat out there for hours drinking beers and just watching it, they looked so cool.  And the more I drank the cooler they got!

About 30 days ago I was riding around with the top down in Mason, where I live, and saw an old Kamado sitting in the back yard of a nice home.  I knocked on the door and a very pretty lady  answered.  I introduced myself and told her I had a Cobalt blue 7 just like hers and asked if she wanted to sell it.  She said, no way it was a gift for her husband.  She then said a friend of mine is who turned her onto them back in the late 90's.

thailand.thumb.jpg.a1c439ac58e5112dd06647eb6f9fc639.jpgSmall world!!!!

• Like 1

Merrill you will have to do a burn in to evaporate the solvents under the tiles. This is a one time thing and my take awhile. Plus side is you can cook something at the same time. I’m pretty sure someone will tell you how to do the burn in. Or it will be in the instructions or you can call Dennis and he can walk you through it. Its no big thing though.  

2 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Merrill you will have to do a burn in to evaporate the solvents under the tiles. This is a one time thing and my take awhile. Plus side is you can cook something at the same time. I’m pretty sure someone will tell you how to do the burn in. Or it will be in the instructions or you can call Dennis and he can walk you through it. Its no big thing though.  

Merrill's new grill is an early KK  pre-Acrylic grout grill so no venting..

• Thanks 1

Welcome to the Obsession.

I, too, was a previous RJ kamado owner (however, mine didn't last nearly that long - you were quite lucky!) You'll love the KK even more - much higher construction quality.

Given the early design of yours (pre-dates most of us here who all had to do the burn-in), I'm not sure what accessories you could accommodate? You'd have to speak directly to Dennis about that. Examples, - does it have a Guru port, where the cold smoker goes? Does it have the internal bushings for the rotisserie? Does it have the probe port on the side for your thermometer wires to come through? You didn't say what size it was, but given it's age, it's either a 23" or a 19"? A second charcoal basket and the basket splitter is great accessory to have. Pizza stone if you're into that. 

We're a friendly bunch here and there's lots of experience to draw upon, so ask questions. 

btw - What electronics, turntable, etc.,  go with those speakers? 

I have never used a guru even for low and slows.  About 5 years ago I stopped doing pork butts for the long haul.  Now I do them 3 hours at 275 and 3 more covered in foil and their  done.  Much juicer!  I did get the baking stone.  I mostly do lots of steaks, chicken, tenderloins a few briskets mostly all with vegies and potatoes.  Usually when I am grilling I am out on the deck laying back, relaxing and keeping the temp right!!  I see some of the stuff that guys use today and think wow.  I am a flip phone kind of guy!!!!

The speakers are Quintessence Acoustics Stealth vi's.  I went through a long period of time, maybe 5, years where I had nothing but Wilsons.  They do look like the Alexandrias's.  They are very good as well.  I had mostly Watt Puppies and Sophia's.  Loved'em all!

As far as Electronics they change all the time.  I just sold Some Krell 900 monoblocks and before that had some old Cat labs tubes.  Now ATI amp with Meridian processor and Esoteric DVD and an OPPO blue ray.  I bought a turntable for 3k about 3 years ago and used it for maybe 3 or 4 albums and now it just sits there.  I cant even remember what it is.  Want to buy it!!!!  Too far to walk to turn it on and flip it over!  Getting too old for that stuff.  I used to buy and sell and change every three or for months but now the speakers are too hard to pack up and move.  The new ones weight 400 pounds a piece and the center channel is 275 pounds.  I have two big strong friends who mover everything for me.  They will be handling the new 23"..

I am like a kid in a candy store.  Can;;t wait!

thanks to everybody for the input.

Edited by merrill
  • Like 1

Krell monoblocks - very nice! All of my stuff is late 70s/early 80s vintage. Metronome speakers, B&K pre-amp & amp, Thorens turntable and Rotel CD player. Hardly played it for many years. Now in retirement, I'm rediscovering lots of my old vinyl (about 800 albums).

Those old Thorens turntables were some of the best ever.   You can spend thousands more today for a turntable and not get that much more sound.  Put a good stylus on an old Thorens and it will compete with tables today  that cost 5 times more money.  I still have several components from the late 70's that can compete with stuff made today.  Such as  and old Accuphase amp,  P300,  that competes with amps costing $10,000 plus today.  Take your Thorens and hook it up with an old Macintosh amp and some Bose 901's.   Good stuff!

• Like 1