Surt

Gasket

Follow this link:

• The quick answer is that you should have two gaskets if you have the 23" ultimate.  There is a fat one flat around the perimeter of the grill and a thinner one right next to it at a slight angle.  There are sort of instructions with the link below.  However, since I literally just replaced mine an hour ago, here's what I suggest.
  • I'd recommend taking a picture of your grill so you know how its supposed to be.
  • Remove the old gasket, it should just pull off
  • Clean the surface with Simple Green and a scrubber/sponge/rag etc.
  • use PERMATEX ULTRA BLACK GASKET MAKER 3.35 OZ TUBE, you can buy it on Amazon.com and this will be your adhesive
  • I started at the back of the grill so the seam would be in the back not the front
  • Use a small paint brush to apply the Permatex
  • I put on the smaller angled one first, making sure that it doesn't ride higher than the lip by using the long end of the paint brush (per the link).
  • Then I added the thicker one.  It came with wooden spacers but none of the instructions referenced them and I didn't see how they were useful so I filed them in the circular file.
  • Put  on the gaskets about a foot at a time and have paper towels on the ready to wipe off the excess.
  • Have a pair of scissors handy to cut off the end to match up where you started
  • Once the gaskets are staying put, I put the lid down to the first position (i.e. NOT all the way closed) just to keep everything in place. 
  • No idea how long you're supposed to wait before using the grill but I'm gonna wait 24 hours
  • Side note, so you don't have to replace them as quickly as I did, if you're running your grill at a high heat like (over 900) like I was for a pizza, and the Komado is hot to the touch...don't leave the lid up!  It will torch your gasket.  Whoops.  Lesson learned.  Grab some gloves and close the grill!

• Thanks 1

If you don't abuse them, they will last several years. Leaving the lid up with the grill that hot will degrade them rapidly. Also, it helps, once you're certain the fire is out, to release the latch to the 1st position so you don't leave the gaskets in full compression all the time between cooks. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

How long is the gasket suppose to last?

2 years on mine now and it still looks great. Now I don't do alot of pizzas and high temps, just periodically. I just latch mine tight all the time but I believe if you release the pressure to first latch as a cautionary prep it may serve to extend the life of your gasket.  I have adjusted the lid catch twice to stop the smoke exiting on one side I had a issue with,,this may have been from keeping it in the 2nd latch position compressing the gasket or the catch loosening and moving on it's own a bit.  Anyhow, the problems are small and easily remedied.

17 hours ago, Alohapiggy said:

How long is the gasket suppose to last?

If you latch your grill when cooking (especially at high temps) there is no airflow over the gasket and it should last indefinitely.  I started shipping these gaskets about 10 years ago and I don't sell many replacements so it seems they are not failing. 

The glazed pot kamados burn thru their gaskets because the straps slip and then the lids don't sit flat, the airflow created burns them up.

• Like 2

:smt023 :drinkers:

Oh, and you don't have to worry about the tiles falling off and having to re-grout them back on or having to recoat the inside of your grill with some new "magic" coating to keep it from cracking (inside joke for previous POSK owners)! 

Edited by tony b