tacobelldog

Just bought a KK...

I believe as in anything of worth that if you take care of it, it will take care of you. You can use a small wired brush, a little WD40 on the threads wouldn't hurt if it starts to stick. Other than that, at least for moi, it's been maintenance free.

I'm thinking that I need to take my top vent off and clean some "stuff" out of the chimney area, as my top vent settings are drifting off of my "standards" - taking more vent opening to hit the same temps. Mind you, this is after a couple of years since I last did it when I did my last spring change-out. For others, what I'm referring to here is that if you have your KK on a deck, which can flex as you walk on it, the top vent can jiggle a little from the vibration/flex of walking around the deck near the KK and cause your temps to drift off of what you want. So, the simplest fix for that is to put a spring on the threaded rod on the top vent to provide a bit of resistance/friction so it doesn't drift. If your KK is sitting on a solid surface, like a patio, this isn't an issue.

This is one of the very few "maintenance" issues that you have with a KK. 

Now that I have had it for a couple weeks and made a few things...its really impressive how much better this cooker is than the Traeger that I had before.  Temp control is simple...almost too simple.  My favorite food so far is Turkey and I don't really like Turkey.  I spatchcocked a 12pounder  and cooked it direct with a light spice at about 300.  Smoky, juicy Turkey.  Beef ribs are slow cooking tonight at 250 and smell yummy.  I am really happy I jumped in and got the KK.

• Like 7

wrench.thumb.jpeg.7fd870d4943764b8db3689d5d3792f5e.jpeg

Congrats!

If it comes off with shop rags, go for it. If it's just cosmetic, call it a life well lived. I took a rag to mine for comparison, and what came off was dry powder, and not so much.

Make a pizza at 500 F, and declare it clean.

Grates are an interesting question. The best degunking tool is a 3/8" wrench (shown) with a rounded opening that matches the grates. Some people never clean grates, but that can get sketchy after a slow & low cook. Some of us plug the hole in a metal water heater pan to make a wash basin, and use the scrubbies one finds in the painting aisle to clean while hosing down and soaking. I've heard tell of leaving grates in a trash bag with ammonia, but even if this did restore a "new" look, what would be the point. I happen to own an electric pressure washer, and I like using it on my grates after a messy cook. It makes me feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger wielding a flamethrower in Commando (or Jiarby lighting a fire with his flamethrower, for a more local reference old-timers might get).

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

20 hours ago, Syzygies said:

Grates are an interesting question. The best degunking tool is a 3/8" wrench (shown) with a rounded opening that matches the grates. Some people never clean grates, but that can get sketchy after a slow & low cook. Some of us plug the hole in a metal water heater pan to make a wash basin, and use the scrubbies one finds in the painting aisle to clean while hosing down and soaking. I've heard tell of leaving grates in a trash bag with ammonia, but even if this did restore a "new" look, what would be the point. I happen to own an electric pressure washer, and I like using it on my grates after a messy cook. It makes me feel like Arnold Schwarzenegger wielding a flamethrower in Commando (or Jiarby lighting a fire with his flamethrower, for a more local reference old-timers might get).

I am a big proponent of Powdered Brewers Wash (PBW) to soak/clean the grates, rotisserie gear, etc. Works great, cuts through greasy gunk easily, just rinse off with a wet sponge, towel, etc. Easy Peasy. 

• Like 2