jruddy

Low temp smoking?

Hi There,

I've been toying with the idea of replacing my Big Joe with one of these units. Leaning towards the 32", mainly so I can do 2 pizzas at a time. I've had my Big Joe for 2 years and I don't often run out of space. I also have a 54" Lynx gas grill so if I run out of room there are too many people at the house :)

I recently came across a post about putting a cast iron inside with wood chips to get more smoke. There is also talk about using the cold smoke tool to add more smoke. I have no problem getting lots of smoke on the KJ between 225 and 250 with a couple of chunks of wood on top of the lump. Needless to say the thought of messing with a cast iron pot or spending $220 to add smoke doesn't sound that appealing to me.

I've watched some videos and everyone has really positive things to say about the product but I'm curious to learn more about the low temp smoke performance. 

Thanks much!

You can do the same on a KK, a couple of chunks of wood on top of the coals will give you smoke. The other methods are refinements to give cleaner more consistent smoke and/or longer smoke.

I think if you read up on both they are being used for a variety of reasons most dealing with control.

You don’t need either, they are refinements you may want to consider down the road.

regards

• Like 1

I bought the smoker attachment mainly for doing cold smoking - no fire in the grill.

Also, the Syzygies smoker pot will generate smoke for a very long time and it's a cleaner smoke than just chunks on the coals and you don't have to replenish it during a long low & slow cook. That's not to say that I don't just toss a few on top myself, but generally only on short cooks (less than an hour). YMMV

• Like 1

Advanced issues found

On 7/7/2019 at 11:08 PM, jruddy said:

I have no problem getting lots of smoke on the KJ between 225 and 250 with a couple of chunks of wood on top of the lump.

You can throw chunks of wood on top of Charcoal in any grill.. The problem is the first thing that turns to the vapor is the gas in the wood.  If there's enough oxygen it'll burn as a flame, if not it'll create a thick gray bitter acrid smoke.  This is the nasty smoke that burns your eyes, sticks to your clothes and hair, and makes you smell like a forest fire. The cast iron pot runs the gas back down thru the burning charcoal to clean it up.. sorta like an after-burner. The cold smoker creates just enough vacuum to make the wood smolder, this keeps it from getting so hot the gas leaves without being burned off.  If you go to the old school BBQ joints, they burn wood until the flame (gas) is gone and then throw the charcoal into the grill to capture the secondary/blue smoke.

This secondary.. after the "gas" vapor is much smoother and lacks the bitter nasty acrid flavor profiles the first smoke/vapor has..

Like everthing, there are different levels of preparation that create results with different qualities..  

• Like 2