BBQ Iguana

Pork shoulder

11 lb pork shoulders. These are two different cooks where the ones on right was with hickory at 225. The left one was with only Dennis’s Coco at 205-210. 

The right one came out with a tasty bark but was not near as moist and a theory I heard was that cooking below boiling point dehydrates the meat. Anyone have any thoughts on this as it might be less humid at lower temp and evaporate moisture from meat?

BFC162EA-D862-46B8-8B4A-9677C53CC05F.jpeg

0E8B1EBE-8C59-4354-AA2A-6F592B43C41E.jpeg

I'd have to do a little research, but I've never heard that theory before and it's not intuitive to me why that would be the case. However, I normally don't do any cooks that low (below boiling point), so don't have any practical experience to share. 

I choose to do butts at 250-75 and find they come out well, moist and in short time. I've done them at 225 but the clock keeps ticking. Tucker or Sygies and I'm not sure whom but, one of them does the lower temp. I've done jerky and that would entail a lower and an extended period to dry the meat however, your working with pieces 1/4 in or slightly bigger. There may be a few who could better explain some evaporation ratio as temp to time and conditions present but, it's just a butt. Nice looking butts you have, the both of them, you know what I mean.