tony b

Pink Flamingo Dinner - 2019

Saturday was this year's fabulous Pink Flamingo dinner. 

374479832_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019007.thumb.jpg.53c28bb5383712ff7ee340a14e52b03d.jpg

406705923_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019015.thumb.jpg.bc999bbec5fc2aa281c31b6ef9d605b6.jpg

Appetizer was a salmon mousse, with house cold smoked salmon, with beet crackers. 

546536908_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019017.thumb.jpg.8f82d8ce9edb1d931933ed445cfdf50a.jpg

First course is always shrimp (Flamingo's favorite food!) cooked on the pink hibachi grill. This year I tried a new trick to get pink pasta - I cooked it in red wine. Had some color, but still searching for the perfect technique. Shrimp was marinated in ponzu and the pasta sauce was a black and roasted garlic butter sauce. 

834646375_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019019.thumb.jpg.36a4b39ce79a9e69ebf5c4d7421b2e9d.jpg

Main course was grilled Flamingo (chicken thighs marinated in Alabama White Sauce with a bit of Uncle Dougie's wing marinade tossed in for the color.) I did manage to get a shot of them on the grill. A bit fuzzy on this shot - was running back and forth between the indoor kitchen and outside. 

651827562_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019021.thumb.jpg.38a82f5ede11426bb5cfbcebf60ce81e.jpg

Plated with Madagascar Pink Rice.

1841349751_PinkFlamingoDinner-2019022.thumb.jpg.5045cc7592e76b6865ee2dd6a8a6d5a1.jpg

Dessert was homemade strawberry ice cream, with Pink Flamingo sugar cookies.

642490281_PinkFlamingoCookies001.thumb.jpg.94be0505e7930a02cb4ef83c2fd71436.jpg

Still packing away all the decorations and stuff until next year's dinner! 

• Like 6

9 hours ago, tekobo said:

Always a flamingo or could we see Pink Panther next year??

Yes, I have far too much invested in flamingo gear to switch gears now. But, Pink Panther would make a fun theme, too! "Excuse me, but is that your minky? Do you have a lysounce for that minky?" "Does you dog bite?" 

8 hours ago, ckreef said:

Yes inquiring minds want to know - what is the reasoning behind pink flamingo? 

Started many years ago on a whim as a fun theme for a dinner party, based upon the prank at the time of folks covering your front lawn in the plastic flamingos, we're talking dozens!, with the provision that you had to make a donation to their charity to get them to come back and remove them. So, I was inspired to take to the next level. Took a long time to collect all the gear - plates, glasses, decorations, etc. Even now, I'm still adding stuff to it as I run across it. Now friends and family gift me items that they find out and about. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I wonder if beets sugar crystals would colour your past?

I've used the pasta made with beet juice, from various sources, including homemade, but it doesn't retain its color when cooked. Everything wants to turn brown. I've done red lentil pasta. I've cooked the pasta in beet juice. This technique of using a bottle of red wine in the pasta water seems to work the best of anything that I've found so far, after many years of trying. I will likely call this "the best that I can do" and move on. 

I've used the pasta made with beet juice, from various sources, including homemade, but it doesn't retain its color when cooked. Everything wants to turn brown. I've done red lentil pasta. I've cooked the pasta in beet juice. This technique of using a bottle of red wine in the pasta water seems to work the best of anything that I've found so far, after many years of trying. I will likely call this "the best that I can do" and move on. 
Have you considered pomegranate juice, just a thought.
  • Thanks 1