merrill

23" candy cane KK

I just took delivery of my new grill.  I got it uncrated and placed on the deck.  I had 12 people over this weekend for a pool party.  The new one wasn't ready yet so I used my old original Kamado.  We did two pork butts, two dozen brats and dogs and a few chickens.  The new grill looks so nice and clean I might not fire it up for a while!

candy canekomodo.jpeg

candy cane komodo.JPG

• Like 7

Congrats Merrill!

Did you get any pics of the uncrating process?

I’ve never seen that colour combo before, was that a special request / custom order?

I’ve just noticed that you’ve got the thermometer clip on the outside of the lid, it’s meant to go inside so that it holds the thermometer in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It was older stock that Dennis had.  He thought it was called Candy Cane? When I first saw pics on the internet I wasn't a fan but in person it is kind of cool looking.  It matches the deck and surroundings very nicely.  My friends all love it!  

I have been using two original Kamados for the past 20 plus years.  The K7, while it still cooks great, has seen its better days.  It has a bad top and many tiles have fallen off over the years.  It doesn't owe me anything.  I have had hundreds of great cookouts over the past 20 years.  Looking forward to the next 20.

As far as the delivery and setup,  everything went without a hitch.  Except for the fact it was 95 degrees and I uncrated everything by myself.

27 minutes ago, alimac23 said:

I’ve just noticed that you’ve got the thermometer clip on the outside of the lid, it’s meant to go inside so that it holds the thermometer in place.

True, but most of us have tossed it and don't use it at all. No risk of the thermometer falling out. 

• Like 1

I did the two pork butts at 325 for about 6 hours with the last three  hour wrapped in foil.  Pulled off at 205 and it was very moist.  A friend who was there called me today to tell me he went Sunday night to  a Truck Diner who specializes in pork butt.  He said as usual it couldn't even compare to mine.

I am thinking the food won't get much better but I will look better making it!  Just like when I spent 4K on new golf clubs.  My game stayed the same but at least now I can look like a golfer.

• Haha 2

I thoroughly enjoyed my old Kamados and when they went out of business I got  some grill parts from Dennis back in 2005.  At that point in time I knew I'd buy a KK down the road.  I just didn't think it would be PINK!  My family won't order steaks anymore at restaurants.  They are spoiled by mine.  I have been doing Tommy Hawks as of late.  Reverse sear with the first 20 minutes at 275.  Hard to beat!

What kind of temps are you guys doing normal steaks at?  Like Ribeye's and tenderloins?

Merrill, nice colors, good for the summer and just right for the turning season to Xmas. That clamp for the thermometer belongs on the inside Merrill, no biggee, turn it around. Sous vide first to temp and sear for tenderloins, can't miss.  Looking good, just hope you have a cover for the weather

2 hours ago, Tyrus said:

That clamp for the thermometer belongs on the inside Merrill, no biggee, turn it around. 

Take the clamp off the thermometer and put it in your spare parts box. You don't need a clamp on the inside or outside. I never installed the clamp on either of my KK's. 

• Sad 1

11 hours ago, merrill said:

When I first saw pics on the internet I wasn't a fan but in person it is kind of cool looking.  It matches the deck and surroundings very nicely. 

I agree, this grill is gorgeous in your setting.  

13 hours ago, merrill said:

The new grill looks so nice and clean I might not fire it up for a while!

You are missing out on the best bit.  Get cooking! 

• Like 2

19 hours ago, merrill said:

What kind of temps are you guys doing normal steaks at?  Like Ribeye's and tenderloins?

Reverse sear is usually @ 325 - 350F for the roast (indirect), then I open up the vents to get a good sear (direct) on the lower grate. 

If you really want a very high temp sear on a steak, take your upper grate, flip it upside down and place it on top of the charcoal basket handles - that's the "sear grate" configuration. There's a substantial difference in temperatures between the sear grate and the dome thermometer of several hundred degrees! So you don't need to crank up the dome temperature much beyond 400F to get a good sear on the sear grate. Another tip, flip the steaks about every 15 seconds, turn 90 degrees after the first 2 passes if you want the "classic cross-hatched" grill marks without overcooking the steaks. 

• Like 2