merrill

23" candy cane KK

Great tips, thanks Tony.  

When you guys are cooking on the higher level do you remove the lower level to help keep it clean or just leave it there.  I also have read where some people put theTomahawk steaks directly on the coals.  Has anybody ever tried that?  I have never had enough nerve and don't want to risk ruining  a good steak.

FTR  I still have not fired up the new one.  I almost feel like I am dissing an old friend, the old K7.  I also spent the last 3 days tracking our missing 8 pound, 9 year old, Shitz Sue..  After 4 days of searching he was found 4 miles from home in a farmers field half a mile from the road.  I felt like we had hit the lotto.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Glad you found your dog and he was OK. 

I've never tried to do a "caveman" style cook (directly on the coals). Closest that I've tried was Alton Brown's version of putting the steak under a roaring chimney of charcoal. Was fun, but I only tried it the one time. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, merrill said:

When you guys are cooking on the higher level do you remove the lower level to help keep it clean or just leave it there.  I also have read where some people put theTomahawk steaks directly on the coals.  Has anybody ever tried that?  I have never had enough nerve and don't want to risk ruining  a good steak.

Merrill google or Utube Caveman Steaks. Not sure I really want to cook a good steak with this method when there is a perfectly good grill nearby.

It is interesting to watch.

I haven't been on the site for a while so I thought I'd update everybody on my new grill.  It looks so damn good sitting there all new and clean I still haven't used it yet.  Thinking maybe this weekend.  The old K7 is till chugging along.    Its almost like when you have to put an old dog down.  You call and schedule the appointment with the vet and the dog senses things aren't right and they perk up.  They stop peeing in the house and you call and cancel the appointment and then they start peeing in the house again!  Vicious

cycle!

Bingo,  Way too go Basher.  NIce close! I now am a man with a plan.  I will start using the new K in order to put the old K to pasture with some life left in her!  Its just a matter of time before the top breaks and the bottom is showing more cracks.  4 or 5 tiles fall off after every cook.  It's time to put her out to pasture with some dignity.  I am even going to dress her up a little by putting the missing tiles back on one more time!  I will start the embalming process tomorrow.

Edited by merrill
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I finally broke the seal!  I used the new grill this weekend.  My daughter is moving to Spain on Thursday and wanted some of my signature ribs.  I did 4 slabs, with 2 on the grill for the whole time, maybe 4 hours at 235,  and the other two the last hour and a half in Aluminum foil. for fall off the bone style.

It was very enjoyable.  I like the top the way it goes up and down so easily compared to the old K7.  I also think the temp is much easier to control.  I do wish the thermometer was more flat so I could see it from inside the house or out back by the pool.  Also the old K7 had more places to hang utensils.

Overall the new grill is fantastic.  L

Edited by merrill
add pics
  • Like 2

35 minutes ago, tony b said:

A good trick for reading your thermometer at a distance - turn the dial so that your target temp is at the 12 o'clock position. Now all you have to do is check the relative position of the dial to 12 o'clock.

Duh! 'tis obvious, yet I never thought of that. 

lol  my fiends and neighbors already think I am nuts. 

I did two large tomahawk steaks last night.   I used the coconut extruded lump which I am just starting to use.  The steaks were a little on the bland side,  with not much smoky taste.  Is that a reflection of the coconut lump?  Is it necessary to use other woods for flavoring when using this lump?  It does burn very nice and gets hot very quickly but I do want more of a smoky taste.

Edited by merrill