ckreef

Reef's Lump Comparison

@tony b

This started as a desire to compare Royal Oak (regular) to the new Royal Oak XL Cut. It quickly morphed into something a bit more. I did this on the Kamado Guru forum. I gathered together 10 different lumps that I could easily obtain and started comparing them using real life tests. All these tests were done using my Primo Oval Jr as i felt that was closer to the type of kamado that Guru members had. The individual results would be slightly different using a KK but for comparing one lump brand to the next the actual kamado shouldn't matter. 

Anyway it's a bit of reading and a fair number of pictures. It's all contained in the first 5 posts of the referenced thread. I'm currently in the low-n-slow tests and have gone through 6 of the 10 lumps. The last 4 are all Fogo brand lumps and I should get through those one per weekend coming up. 

If anyone is interested check out this link to the Kamado Guru thread. As I update it (about once a week) I'll let you all know. 

https://www.kamadoguru.com/topic/41864-reefs-lump-comparison/

Not sure if you all actually paid attention to some of the results but Marabu and Quebracho burned the least amount of lump doing the 500* test. Noticeably less. 

KJ Big Block was a big surprise doing 250* low-n-slow for 34.5 hours. Can't wait to run the low-n-slow on the Fogo lumps. 

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Wasn't shocked at all - both of those charcoals are amazing (IMHO), especially the Marabu. Wish you'd have tossed in their Brazilian Eucalyptus lump - that's been my fav so far from their Premium line. 

When I finish getting through the current 10 I might put a few others through the paces. BBQ Guys will ship Jealous Devil for free. That and the Eucalyptus. 

Also since Rockwood so far has been the most unstable I'd like to give that a go in the KK to see if it burns more stable in a KK. 

@DennisLinkletter - just got my shipment of coffee charcoal. Inside the box was a card promoting your website - www.KomodoCharcoal.com. But when I tried to go there, I got an error message saying the page could not be reached. Any ideas on what's up??

@ckreef - I just took delivery on 10 boxes. Would be happy to share one for "the cause" of this experiment. PM me if you're interested. 

@tony b @ckreef  Tony, I have a box of Coffee Char that came with my KK that I can send to Charles.  You paid a premium to get your 10 boxes and I still have 20 boxes of my favorite Russian lump.  If you two have not made arrangements, I will ship it ckreef this weekend.  Let me know. 

PS - my nephew is getting married in Cedar Rapids next summer. Hopefully we can meet up and share some tall tales over a cold one :occasion5:          

@Jon B. - I just packaged up a box for ckreef. I'll take it to the Post Office on Monday. No way am I going near the place on a Friday afternoon - not unless I want to wait in line for an hour!

You'll have to give me the dates of when you'll be here next year, so I can try (finally) for us to meet up! If next summer is anything like this one, it could be a juggle. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Thanks VERY BIG!!  I really appreciate it

As soon as I get through the original 10 (3 left to go) I'll test KK coffee lump, Fogo Eucalyptus, and Jealous Devil. Coming soon. 

Edited by ckreef