ThreeDJ16

German Recipes

Ok, since there's a whole new crowd in here now, I'm hoping there are some folks with a few German recipes???  I asked this many, many years ago and didn't get anywhere.  Fingers crossed.

Schweinshaxe was always that dish which was good, but never quite perfected.  None of those Google recipes cut it either.

Anyone?? 

I'd love to see more international recipes in this section. 

Butter Kuchen

★★★★★

Breads, Breakfast, Desserts

Prep Time: 2 hrs Cook Time: 30 mins Difficulty: Easy Servings: 8

Ingredients

Dough:

¼ cup milk

2 tbsp butter, melted

2 tbsp sugar

½ tsp salt

½ package dry yeast

2 tbsp warm water

1 egg

1-1/2 cups flour

Topping:

1 stick unsalted butter, melted

3/4 cup sugar

1 large egg

3 tablespoons water

4 teaspoons all-purpose flour

1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract

1/8 teaspoon salt

Directions

To make dough: Heat milk until lukewarm; add butter, sugar, and salt. Dissolve yeast in warm water and add to milk. Beat in eggs: then beat in flour. The dough should be very soft and wet. If the dough is too much like batter then add a little extra flour. The dough should be soft and sticky.

Cover and put in a warm place for 60 to 90 minutes. Turn out on a floured board and roll to fit a 9-inch cake pan. Pinch the edges to form sides, and press down the center some which later will hold the butter topping.

Put in a warm place again for 45 to 60 minutes for a second rising.

Mix ingredients for topping and pour onto the dough after the second rising. Reshape edges to contain topping if necessary.

Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 30 minutes. Let cool completely before cutting.

826AD8E8-8D4B-47CD-A46E-90FB332A4031.thumb.jpeg.ef58d23348e9489a7d720b9fbf3229e5.jpeg

• Like 2

Years ago, we had a fantastic little German restaurant and the owner, Ole was a true chef.  His haxe was the best ever and never was able to replicate the recipe after he moved on.  Most of our other German places just serve standard dishes, but he had items I'd never had before.  Always had a taste for things that were different.  Guess that was one thing that drew me to start cooking by age 7.

For a number of years, we also had a German butcher right down the street from my current home.  Every Saturday, the owner's wife had fresh hot fleischkaese and the bratwurst hanging around the shop blooming after the smoke.  Man, the smells of that little shop were heavenly.  Got to know the older couple very well over the years and was very sad when they retired as their kids had zero interest in running the family business.

Also the area of the small town I grew up in had a lot of German moms.  It was fantastic when my friends invited me for dinner, so I've loved German food since I was a kid.  Now that I'm trying to get back into cooking again, I'd love to find some different dishes that I've never had.  Still want that perfect Schweinshaxe  recipe too...LOL.  Oh yeah, Ole also made us Kalbshaxe on special holidays.  OMG, it was so good.

Hi there @ThreeDJ16.  I bought this book: The Cooking of Germany https://www.amazon.com/Recipes-Cooking-Germany-Foods-World/dp/B0007EUSI8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cooking+of+germany&qid=1564814495&s=gateway&sr=8-4, when I was looking for a recipe for smoked goose breast.  I have not cooked anything else from the book but you may well find your old favourites there.  The index of its contents can be found at eatyourbooks.com if you want to check out what recipes it contains.  My favourite German/Austrian dish is good old wiener schnitzel.   I've never tried to make it at home, don't want to spoil the memory of the perfect versions eaten in Berlin!

8 hours ago, tekobo said:

Hi there @ThreeDJ16.  I bought this book: The Cooking of Germany https://www.amazon.com/Recipes-Cooking-Germany-Foods-World/dp/B0007EUSI8/ref=sr_1_4?keywords=cooking+of+germany&qid=1564814495&s=gateway&sr=8-4, when I was looking for a recipe for smoked goose breast.  I have not cooked anything else from the book but you may well find your old favourites there.  The index of its contents can be found at eatyourbooks.com if you want to check out what recipes it contains.  My favourite German/Austrian dish is good old wiener schnitzel.   I've never tried to make it at home, don't want to spoil the memory of the perfect versions eaten in Berlin!

Thanks, but the link to see the list of recipes just sends me to a sign up page. 

BTW, all schnitzel types are super simple with the few key ingredients.  One is good quality bread crumbs and if you don't feel like making them, I can't remember the name, but think it was Italian and in a green can.  That was some of the best store bought I've ran across.  The other thing is adding butter when you pan fry it, but that typically means you need to cleanup after every two pieces.  Of course weiner is just veal cutlets where regular is pork cutlets.  All of it pounded to death with a meat tenderizing hammer till thin.  I flour it, then egg wash and lastly dip in a seasoned bread crumb right before dropping it in the butter/olive oil pan fry.  Keep them warm on an oven rack if making sauce or multiple.  My favorites are rham (which is a white creamy mushroom sauce and I add a little pinot gris to it), then jager (a browned flour gravy, of course I add mushrooms to all my sauces) and then a la holstein which is the wife's favorite, an egg (or three...LOL) sunny side up on top.  All are great with a small squeeze of fresh lemon and served with gherkin, potato or green bean salads along with some red cabbage.....Mmmmm.  LOL...I may be making another trip to the grocery store today.

Edited by ThreeDJ16

I know nothing,,,,,,nothing !!  Actually, I loved a dish called Hasenpfeffer or Rabbit stew with a sour cream base, potatoes and more. I've seen some on line but, the one from years ago is a loss of memory. That would be good in the KK. We stop at a old authentic German restaurant in Springfield Ma on our way from the Berkshires. The wooden booths with bench seats and all the beer stiens around up top remind me of some of similar places in Germany. Sounds to me as if you should book a Viking cruise down the Rhine, you know,,satisfy the urge. A quick fix might be potatoe pankcake with sour cream, 3 large tatas and 1 med onion, s&p, works for me if I'm Jones n'.

20 hours ago, ThreeDJ16 said:

Mmmmm.  LOL...I may be making another trip to the grocery store today.

Thanks for the tips on schnitzel.  I love the plate sized versions with potato salad on the side. And love having someone else make it for me.  Good excuse to go to Germany again soon.  if you ever make it over to Berlin do stop by my favourite bistro of all time - Lutter und Wegner in Charlottenstraße.  

All this talk of German food has reminded me of one of my favourites.  Bratkartoffeln.  No recipe.  Just cook cubes of potato slowly in fat for about 45minutes until they are sort of crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Divine.  Mmmmm. I will be making that tonight. 

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

All this talk of German food has reminded me of one of my favourites.  Bratkartoffeln.  No recipe.  Just cook cubes of potato slowly in fat for about 45minutes until they are sort of crunchy on the outside and soft on the inside.  Divine.  Mmmmm. I will be making that tonight. 

I've made that a few times, but add a few spices to it.  I'd rather my German potato salad instead though....Mmm.  The wife loves my green bean or gherkin salad.  Both really simple to make.  Basically a small dollop of sour cream, dash of vinegar, dill weed and celery seed.  But both get better with a night in the fridge. 

• Like 1

Come to Iowa, and go visit the Amana Colonies. It's an old German immigrant community from back in the late 1800s. It was a commune and they had big kitchen halls where everyone came to share what they had, cook and eat together. Now they are very nice rustic restaurants - all served "family style" - large platters and bowls of the main proteins and side dishes. Pretty authentic stuff. The local brewery makes a nice brew to go with the tasty food, too. My favorite is the rouladen. But the wiener schnitzel is very good too!

• Like 1

Sorry, no KKs used in the making of this meal, but I will be firing up one of the beasts tomorrow for some chook halves.  Plus it's just been ridiculously hot for a while.  Hoping for some rain and cooler weather soon so I can do more outdoor cooking.

For my birthday dinner I decided to cook one of my favorite dishes since it's not available locally. Schnitzel A La Holstein, potato salad and gherkin salad. Mmmmm. Wife thought it was her birthday since it's also one of her favorites too.  The pork cutlets were tiny, even after taking a pounding.  Didn't want to look like a pig, so only put one on the plate for the pic....😮...but let's just say there will be schnitzel sandwiches this weekend too.

Safe to say my wife definitely thinks I've not lost my touch since I had to fight her away for a quick pic. Nothing fancy, only the finest paper plates for us...LOL.  But the meal was fantastic, which is all I care about anyway. 😉

Image may contain: food

• Like 3