PVPAUL

3 Chickens on 32” rotisserie Cradle?

I’m planning on a dinner for 15-16 people the upcoming weekend. Thinking about doing 3 chickens in the rotisserie cradle. I looks like size wise 3 chickens at about 5lbs each will fit. Just wondering if anyone else here on the forum has done this? 

Thanks,

Paul

Apparently you have the room, the only thing I would be concerned with is an even temp all the way across the plain for an even cook. On the grill you can move things around and have control of your cook. Now if you have a large chimney and start a batch of lump and then spread the hot coals over an established bed of lump it may help towards a more consistent burn. That should get you started or expand any idea that has already crossed your mind. I don't worry about this with the 23 unfortunately the 32 is wider and prep time is a concern.......maybe

Do you have the splitter basket? I'd consider putting that in with the fire in the back, lighting the basket of charcoal across the width of the grill, and using the rotisserie to cook the birds. 

Plan B - spatchcock the birds and do them direct on the main grate. That way you can flip them every 20 minutes or so and move them around the hot spots in the charcoal. 

Hello Tony, I do have a basket splitter however with the 32” KK I believe it’s only designed for splitting left to right (or right to left) not front to back like the round KK models. I will look at it closer tomorrow in the daylight to see if I’m missing something here. There is so many ways to set up grates etc that I’m still learning. Also on a separate note I decided to pull the trigger on the CyberQ cloud today along with the KK cold smoking unit. While I’ve only had my KK about 7 weeks now I’ve had issues twice with maintaining consistent temperature control (hence the cyberQ) and I also cannot get the smoking Pot working. Both of these may likely be related to the Royal Oak lump I started with. Based on the Naked Wiz review and the fact that RO makes the green egg charcoal I figured this was a good product and stocked up pretty heavily on this..... which I now think was a mistake (or just a learning curve). In any event I also placed a pretty large order on FOGO charcoal which just arrived. I do like gadgets and the comfort of knowing where my cook / temperature is at and being able to adjust it remotely is a plus. I look forward to these new toys and continuing to learn to use my KK.

Best,

Paul 

I think that you may be right about the basket splitter in the 32" only being left/right. Oh well, there goes that idea, but you can still just light the charcoal in the back half at each end and see how that works out for you?

You will like the consistency of using the Guru controller - a good crutch until you get more comfortable with the vent settings. One tip about using the controller - don't open the top vent more than just off the seat. Let the fan do all the work. And for lower temps, half close the damper on the fan. You don't want a natural draft, as the temperature can drift up above the setpoint, especially on a windy day, and at that point, the Guru is worthless - it can't lower the temperature. 

I think that you will like the Fogo much better than the RO lump. It will be a tad harder to light, but burns slower (more dense). 

While I have the cold smoker, I still use my Syz smoker pot for most of my hot cooks. I have to use it if I'm using my Guru, as I only have the one port in my older KK. Make sure that you set it on top of your lit coals so it has a better chance of getting the smoke going.

By laying a few brick on their side on the bottom from side to side you create a wall.  Fill it with started lump from a good size chimney especially if you have junk lump on the back part of the grill. You may want to heat soak a while or otherwise put your chicken on the roto and immediately begin your cook, you can add lump as go. This is a way to contain the fire to either front or back, your choice. There are two post supports on each side the basket, you could even use chicken wire fence doubled over and tied on these to create a wall to hold lump back. More than one way to split the basket

Tony & Tyrus, thanks for the feedback. Tony, thanks for the tips on using the CyberQ...I hope to hit the ground running once this arrives. My biggest challenge with these types of gadgets is usually the connectivity with my internet...hopefully I can get through this part without too much difficulty.  When you talk about using the Syz smoking pot with  most of your “Hot Cooks” what temperature range are you speaking of?

Tyrus, I will be out looking for some bricks to set up my splitter front to back! I will likely heat soak my KK prior to rotisserie as I’ll have 16 hungry guest and so I want to stack the odds in my favor for dinner being on time!!!

Best,

Paul

Hi Paul -

Here are 3 birds spinning on the 42 for reference.  Smaller birds, but could fit the 5lbs no problem.  We used some disposable steam table pans for deflectors rather than splitting the firebox and ran about 375-400 with a pecan chips for smoke.  Ran about 75+/- minutes to get to target temp.  Did the same on another cook with 2 birds and ran with no deflectors with a meater probe in  (on that started lower with a ramp up in temp with basting the birds) - included that for an additional data point.

Hope this helps

cheers

B7A1F8BE-F072-41A9-9708-E68CB8802C4B.jpeg

9EFC6F69-2B06-4C5B-B717-A8CD3DD099F2.jpeg

9373155C-EE7F-4BE7-84D4-2F7BA5DA8771.jpeg

D2A21506-AC57-4D9C-8530-A6BD309C1B66.png

• Like 3

On 8/5/2019 at 12:06 PM, PVPAUL said:

When you talk about using the Syz smoking pot with  most of your “Hot Cooks” what temperature range are you speaking of?

Anything above 250F. That's pretty much my lower limit for a "lo & slo" cook. I find that going lower (225F) just adds time to the cook and doesn't improve the results - YMMV. 

Mcjudtsten, thanks for the information. If I had a 42” I’d be asking if I could spin 4 birds at once! Congrats on the beautiful grill! 

Tony, I’m a little confused by your response. If 250F is the lower limit of your low-N-Slow and you use the SYZ smoking pot at this temperature wouldn’t this mean that use use the SYZ smoking pot for everything (except maybe a cold smoke in which I would guess that for this you would use the KK cold smoker)? 

I was guessing that you are not having consistent smoking results (like I’m struggling with) in the lower ranges of smoke cooking. I also wanted to ask if you are successfully using the SYZ smoking POT at 250F range what charcoal are you mainly using. I’m wondering if my bad luck with the SYZ smoking pot is mostly a result of using RO lump? I look forward to hearing back from you!

Thanks,

Paul

Hi @PVPAUL.  I had trouble with the smoking pot initially but I have since used it successfully and consistently at low temperatures.  I heat up the empty pot on a gas ring in the kitchen and then put in on the fire in the KK and add in my chips, taking care not to block the exit holes.  That has worked every time for me.  Now that I have the hot/cold smoker I don't think I will need to use the smoke pot unless I am using chips that don't work well in the smoker.  

Tekobo, today I put a camp stove outside near my KK. I will give this a shot as I really would like to get this working. I also just ordered the hot/cold KK smoker but am sure that I would still find uses for the smoking pot.

Best,

Paul

20 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

Tony, I’m a little confused by your response. If 250F is the lower limit of your low-N-Slow and you use the SYZ smoking pot at this temperature wouldn’t this mean that use use the SYZ smoking pot for everything (except maybe a cold smoke in which I would guess that for this you would use the KK cold smoker)? 

I was guessing that you are not having consistent smoking results (like I’m struggling with) in the lower ranges of smoke cooking. I also wanted to ask if you are successfully using the SYZ smoking POT at 250F range what charcoal are you mainly using. I’m wondering if my bad luck with the SYZ smoking pot is mostly a result of using RO lump? I look forward to hearing back from you!

Yeah, I guess that pretty much sums it up - everything but cold smoking. Sorry that I wasn't more clear.

If it's a quick cook (<1 hour), I'll just toss some chunks on top of the coals, as by the time the smoker pot heats up enough to generate nice smoke, the cooks half over.

I think your problem can be traced to either the RO charcoal not generating enough BTUs to heat up the cast iron, or your placement of the pot. With faster burning charcoal like the RO, the coals underneath the pot can burn up before the pot heats up and then the pot can slide off the pile and not be near the burning coals any longer. I've had that happen before, so I try and make sure that the pot is on a "steady platform" of lump around the spot that I've lit. 

@tekobo - any concerns trying to seal the lid on the smoker pot after it's already heated up? I use the flour/water paste on mine and I'd be reluctant to attempt that with a screaming hot bottom half. I could see putting the sealed up smoker on top of a chimney of burning charcoal to jump start it, then just transferring it to the charcoal basket in the KK on a short cook. Would probably have to add more chunks inside than I normally use, seeing as it would be generating smoke during the heat up of the KK before the food goes on. 

12 hours ago, tony b said:

@tekobo - any concerns trying to seal the lid on the smoker pot after it's already heated up? I use the flour/water paste on mine and I'd be reluctant to attempt that with a screaming hot bottom half. I could see putting the sealed up smoker on top of a chimney of burning charcoal to jump start it, then just transferring it to the charcoal basket in the KK on a short cook. Would probably have to add more chunks inside than I normally use, seeing as it would be generating smoke during the heat up of the KK before the food goes on. 

Tee hee.  I knew there was something I had forgotten.  I have not sealed the lid on the smoke pot with paste for a long time.  The lid is good and heavy and fits well so I rely on that for sealing.  I have to admit that I have not checked for leakage once it has got going so I don't know if I am undermining the effectiveness of the smoke pot significantly by not adding the extra seal.  I remember @Syzygies saying that he found applying the seal was good work for hands that might otherwise be idle.  Decided my hands would be better occupied with a drink.  :smt069

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

So I thought I would post a couple of picture of the 3 chickens in the 32” rotisserie craddle. As Dennis said these fit nicely in the cradle. These were about 5.0 to 5.5 lbs each. Cooked them with the Huli Huli recipe from the Meathead cookbook. A couple of other comments related to this thread.

I ordered and received the CyberQ Cloud this last week. I did one experiment cook for bratwurst and really only used the Pit probe just to control the  temperature and it went great. When making the rotisserie chickens I also tried to use it hear and had some problems getting to temperature.....I think this is likely operative error and my learning curve.

I also received my cold KK smoker on Friday. Since we had company all weekend I just opened the box today and did a trial run of smoking only...no food. Based on some other threads related to the cold smoker I put some cherry wood pellets up to about the vent holes...I then soaked a small handful of apple pellets in Stroh Rum (very strong stuff) hit it with the lighter.....let it go about 3-5 minutes....set the pump air on high...let it go another few minutes and then added more pellets to the hopper.....it worked like a charm. Think I’m going to make a Pastrami next weekend and tryout the CyberQ and cold smoker at the same time!!!

B1DB7A48-F3A1-471B-A29A-DDCE1CEAC445.jpeg

BD678AF3-1BDB-4718-ADE7-C4C838B94680.jpeg

• Like 7