PVPAUL

Half Grate

So I received my 32” grill about 7 weeks and received the 4 grates that come with it. I’m wondering if anyone has ever approached the idea with Dennis for offering a 2nd half grate that would fit below the standard (included) half grate. I Would think this would come in handy as a area for a drip pan or second food item and still allow complete access to the charcoal bed so one could easily add smoking woods. With the current configuration the lower grate is a full grate and it’s not easy to add smoking woods to where the charcoals are glowing. I understand that you can lift up the front for adding smoking woods but once again I cannot reach where the glowing charcoals are.

Thanks,

Paul

10 hours ago, PVPAUL said:

So I received my 32” grill about 7 weeks and received the 4 grates that come with it. I’m wondering if anyone has ever approached the idea with Dennis for offering a 2nd half grate that would fit below the standard (included) half grate. I Would think this would come in handy as a area for a drip pan or second food item and still allow complete access to the charcoal bed so one could easily add smoking woods. With the current configuration the lower grate is a full grate and it’s not easy to add smoking woods to where the charcoals are glowing. I understand that you can lift up the front for adding smoking woods but once again I cannot reach where the glowing charcoals are.

Thanks,

Paul

The standard lower grate has a hinged door.. why not use that?

32lower.jpg

Do you have the cold smoker? If you have items (drip pans, food) on the lower grate that limits use of the hinged door, I'd use the cold smoker instead of trying to place chunks of wood on top of the fire during the cook. If you don't have the cold smoker (and aren't interested in buying one), consider using Syz's cast iron Dutch oven "smoker pot" that many of us use. You can generate smoke for hours with it, so no worries about having to add more wood chunks during the cook. 

When using the 1/2 grate and the hinged lower grate your ability to open up the hinged lower grate is somewhat obstructed by the 1/2 grate. I do have the cold smoker on order so it’s not a big deal. I was just curious if anyone else out here in forum land also expressed an interest in a second half grate that would fit below the current half grate.