Basher

The Clock is Now Ticking

The deposit was paid today for a 23" KK. I got the one with bells and whistles.

Judging by other orders- most recently Hammo- coming into The Port of Brisbane it's expected to be about 3 months away. 

Summer will be kicking in by then, however, before the KK arrives I have plenty of work to do in preparation.

Our house is a timber "workers cottage" built in 1913 so during summer all doors and windows are open to breathe. Given the back deck is attached to the house, the smoke doesn't go down that well from the back deck.

My back yard is a mess and the current ODK sits on the deck so a new ODK needs to be built to house the KK, and other toys. It'll be detached and far enough away so the smoke doesn't cause a problem to house.

I had in mind something like this- IMG_2226.thumb.JPG.26a1accbc8d9568dfbac1fef90d6e13e.JPG

A mate of mine has been milling some grade 1 blue gum hardwood timber from his property and kindly wants to donate some 150mm posts and slabs for the bench. It'll cost about 10 years of cook ups.

I also found some cool river stones carved into bench top sinks. I think they might be from Indonesia.

We have street gas that I can run to the ODK so the gas burner will always be on tap with no need to refill bottles. And the KK can just rolllllll around at will.

• Like 8

We  moved in 20 years ago when the house used to look like this from the street.721665953_Burlington30old.PNG.90a407ad5b32a26efebe7a48364b1f37.PNG

It now looks like this from a slightly different angle

IMG_2277.thumb.JPG.46da6700f1dd19be61b4834c8009a46f.JPG

Fell out of love with the house over the last few years so the new ODK and KK is like a renewal of vows.

Looking forward to revisiting the honeymoon!!!

Edited by Basher
  • Like 5

We purchased the house off 3 brothers- their father built the house.

The 3 brothers lived through WWII and between the 3 of them they had 3 legs. The last brother alive had 2 legs!

Do the maths.

When we moved in, the toilet in the house had a dirt floor. This was considered a step up from the original long drop in the back corner of the garden. Tough to access during thunder storms!

Is there something about old men and young men where they cant aim straight? Man that dirt floor absorbed everything. Could have bottled it and sold it to a footy player for a half time wake up!

For 2 years after we moved in the old fella would pop up in the back yard out of habit and walk into the back door.To him It was still his home. We didn't mind, he was a pretty good bloke and he filled us in on the history of the area while i made him a cuppa.

Edited by Basher
  • Like 7

Looks like the master plan is coming together. Are you by the water ?  Seeing the posts sometime makes it necessary by the water or was it just the lay of the land. 3 brothers huh, bet ya back then they didn't have to pull a permit. What color KK

7 hours ago, Basher said:

For 2 years after we moved in the old fella would pop up in the back yard out of habit and walk into the back door.To him It was still his home. We didn't mind, he was a pretty good bloke and he filled us in on the history of the area while i made him a cuppa.

I love that.  Having a connection with someone who lived in your house all/most of his life must have been interesting. I often wonder about the people who lived in our house and what their lives would have been like.  

9 hours ago, Basher said:

The deposit was paid today for a 23" KK. I got the one with bells and whistles.

Yay!  What colour is it and what are the bells and whistles? :blob3:

Tyrus Brisbane is a river city with a population around 1.3m. I’m about 1km from the city centre and river, about 15km from the ocean.

pebble, autumn gold or harvest gold? Not the olive one.

Yes tekabo. 80 years living in the same house is going to leave a high level of familiarity. He only left to go to a war, then came home to the same house.

Bells and Whistles- everything Dennis has that rings and hoots, cold smoker, half grills, stones, side tables, rotisserie.

No cover, I want to see this ornament.

Edited by Basher
  • Like 3

Yes tony b the roti with cradle and forks.

With the ODK the KK should be in shade for 97% of peak summer days and 100% in winter. Like North America, our climate varies significantly from one end to another.

Humidity is my biggest concern and I can't see that the cover will change this and I take comfort knowing the KK is built and tested in Indonesia.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Basher said:

Yes tony b the roti with cradle and forks.

With the ODK the KK should be in shade for 97% of peak summer days and 100% in winter. Like North America, our climate varies significantly from one end to another.

Humidity is my biggest concern and I can't see that the cover will change this and I take comfort knowing the KK is built and tested in Indonesia.

I live in middle GA, USA. We're 80-90% humidity year round. Humidity is not the issue,rain is the issue. Mine are under a covered porch so the only time they get rain is in a very hard blowing thunderstorm, maybe a few times a year. I don't have covers and I've never worried about it. 

• Like 1

Gorgeous job on the renovation. 

I haven't used my cover since I put it under a roof. Make sure to keep the vents open when not in use, especially if you are going a few days between cooks. Otherwise, you can get some condensation inside and it will absorb water. I don't think it is a big deal but it wouldn't be a good habit.