jruddy

Greetings from Delaware

Since I officially placed my order for a 32" Cobolt Blue KK, I figured I should introduce myself.

Canadian living in Delaware, backyard hack who enjoys cooking, cars, and golf.

Started with a Brinkmann electric drum style smoker that I used for 10 years (had 2 over that time).
Graduated to a Weber Smoky Mountain, and a Weber Summit gas grill for 4 years.
Then replaced Smoky Mountain with a Kamado Joe Big Joe for 2.5 years
Now replaced Summit with a Lynx 54" Pro grill on NG
Just (today) sold KJ and bought a Traeger Ironwood, so I have something to at least smoke on with while I wait for the 32" KK. Had a Traeger 7 years ago (for 3 weeks) but only had a small deck and wife said we didn't have room for 2 bbqs so it had to go. Great for a few things but terrible for sear and hi temp cooking.
End result will be a 32"KK, my Lynx, Traeger, and adding a Lynx 30" griddle.

Yes most will say, I may not use anything but my KK after I have one, but the Traeger makes some amazing chicken that I dont have to babysit, and the 1000F sear burner on the Lynx is nice to have when doing a reverse sear on another unit. There are only 2 of us but I do enjoy mixing different processes and eating a fine steak or smoked food.

Looking forward to experimenting with the KK (yes I bought 15 cases of cocochar at the same time).

• Like 12

20 hours ago, jruddy said:

Yes most will say, I may not use anything but my KK after I have one, but the Traeger makes some amazing chicken that I dont have to babysit,

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to be blown away by what this grill/smoker can do. I will bet the Farm that some of those other pieces of hardware you have now will be on Craig's list within a few months! Chicken is probably the best thing you can do on a KK, especially if you went with the rotisserie option. The low airflow in the KK keeps birds very moist without much hassle (no brining). If no rotisserie, then you will find spatchcocked chicken (aka roadkill) will be just as good. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, tekobo said:

Welcome @jruddy.   It sounds like you are all set for your KK adventure.  It is fun using different cooking methods.  What accessories did you order?

Thanks,

SS shelves

cold smoker

basket splitter

cover

rotisserie

pizza stone

Double bottom drip

15 cases of coco char

think that’s it! 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Welcome to the Obsession! You're going to be blown away by what this grill/smoker can do. I will bet the Farm that some of those other pieces of hardware you have now will be on Craig's list within a few months! Chicken is probably the best thing you can do on a KK, especially if you went with the rotisserie option. The low airflow in the KK keeps birds very moist without much hassle (no brining). If no rotisserie, then you will find spatchcocked chicken (aka roadkill) will be just as good. 

Thank you. Yeah I had the rotisserie for my KJ as well. Some great tasting chicken!

• Thanks 1

:smt023 on the accessory list, especially loading up on the coco char!

Only 1 piece of advice, if it's not too late, get a second charcoal basket for the basket splitter. It makes swapping back and forth sooooo much easier if all you have to do is lift out one and drop in the other, no assembly required!! 

1 hour ago, tony b said:

:smt023 on the accessory list, especially loading up on the coco char!

Only 1 piece of advice, if it's not too late, get a second charcoal basket for the basket splitter. It makes swapping back and forth sooooo much easier if all you have to do is lift out one and drop in the other, no assembly required!! 

Thanks. Yeah I did kick that around but for me, this is a weekend only toy. I work too many hours during the week to do a lot of cooking at home. Ultimately figured it wouldn’t be that hard to adjust as needed. 

We will see, once I have some time with it,I may change my mind. 

Yeah def looking forward to it. Honestly I will probably only use the Traeger for chicken and quick smoke items.  Made some killer smoked meatballs on the Traeger this weekend. 

Biggest issue for me is that I always cover my grills when not in use. KK takes a long time to cool down so I tend not to use a Kamado grill if rain will happen before I can cover it.  I used my KJ a couple times in the rain but I typically like to avoid it. 

That being said, I might be being over protective but when I have so much invested in bbqs, I like to protect them. 

Also have mesquite logs and like to cook some over an open fire :)

AFBF12C9-3C82-4F9E-B145-C29371D6B52B.jpeg

628DAF69-8D2D-4FAF-97B9-845DF0A04034.jpeg

0DEF3F20-9D7C-4FB5-9279-0CDD69429021.jpeg

62252C8B-8F6E-4307-8E68-6744927DAC73.jpeg

• Like 3

13 hours ago, jruddy said:

Biggest issue for me is that I always cover my grills when not in use. KK takes a long time to cool down so I tend not to use a Kamado grill if rain will happen before I can cover it.  I used my KJ a couple times in the rain but I typically like to avoid it. 

Just shut the vents and wait for the temperature to drop 50F or more, signaling the fire is out. Then crack open the top vent off the seat, open the latch to the 1st position, then put the cover on it - wet or dry. No worries.