ckreef

Grilled Peach Reef Syrup/Topping

I've done something similar in the past but this time I decided to make a pancake and waffle syrup/topping. 

Simple ingredients including some pure Canadian mapple syrup sent to me by a friend from Canada. (Thank You @MacKenzie

gprsA.thumb.jpg.518b9bea6aefab06a4f689080745f3da.jpg

I started by grilling some peaches in two batches. 

gprsB.thumb.jpg.048d8d2a637985430cfb8be5e2365b2d.jpg

When they come off the grill put them in a bowl and cover with cellophane. Letting them steam and cool down in a covered bowl makes it easier to peel off the skin. 

gprsC.thumb.jpg.47a5fbb7194aa05f7f1dc4d4a4a0a55a.jpg

Peel then chop the peaches. About to make 5 cups of peach puree. 

gprsD.thumb.jpg.b49db4b1323efc52efc088edc2209c60.jpg

Add the peach puree, mapple syrup, sugar, lemon juice and a little water. Bring to a rolling boil then simmer for 5 minutes. 

gprsE.thumb.jpg.80db74a7141cc7e62fef2fd37d09239d.jpg

Water bath can for 20 minutes. Let cool over night. 

gprsF.thumb.jpg.abde33b2c4d217bd9b6e76b133c4752d.jpg

gprsG.thumb.jpg.daea01690a2f93ecdfb4868cf6ead1a7.jpg

Sunday morning breakfast. 

pgrsH.thumb.jpg.bdd9d89f3461184e706371af99dda361.jpg

• Like 9

31 minutes ago, tony b said:

Hint, hint, hint. A special shipment coming my way could possibly include a bottle of that syrup! :laughing6:

No worries, there's a bottle slated for you. I bought 12 of these bottles but only used 6. Peaches in GA run through the end of August and the later in the year the sweeter the peach. If possible I'll buy another box of peaches next weekend and make another 6 bottle batch. I think I can improve on the original recipe. We're going to see what happens before I box up your goodies B)

5 hours ago, ckreef said:

I think I can improve on the original recipe.

I like your recipes!  Please post when you have refined.  We don't get your lovely Californian peaches out here but I will look out for some good Mediterranean ones as the season progresses.  

• Like 1

On 8/12/2019 at 2:45 AM, tekobo said:

I like your recipes!  Please post when you have refined.  We don't get your lovely Californian peaches out here but I will look out for some good Mediterranean ones as the season progresses.  

Opened my first bottle from batch #2 - OMG !!! 

Big improvement from batch #1 and that batch tasted pretty good. I figured I better type this up before I forget what I did because this was mostly off the top of my head. 

You'll need 15-20 peaches  depending on size. Cut them in half, remove the pit, and Grill them hot and fast. 

Remove peaches from grill and put in a large bowl. Cover with saran wrap and let them steam/cool down for 20-30 minutes. This will make it easier to remove the skin. 

Start peeling and chopping the peaches. Put in a blender. Puree the peaches until smooth. You need about 5 cups peach puree. 

In a large pot on the stove add the peach puree, 1 cup sugar, 1 to 1 1/2 cups pure mapple syrup, 2 cups water and 2 Tbsp Real Lemon lemon juice. Do not use fresh squeezed, we want a consistent acid content from the lemon juice and the acid content in fresh squeezed can vary. 

Turn on stove to get it boiling. In the meantime peel and cut up the remaining peaches in small chunks. Hopefully you'll have about 3 cups of chunks. Add that to the puree mixture. 

Bring to a full rolling boil. If it looks too thick add another cup or two of water. After it comes to a full rolling boil simmer rapidly for 5 minutes. 

Jar it and water bath process for 20 minutes. Let jars sit until cool. You don't have to let them sit 24 hours because this has no pectin so it's not going to set. 

This will yield 6-8 12oz jars so be prepared. They should have a 6-12 month shelf life. Shake before using and refrigerate after opening. 

If you give this a try let me know what you think. You won't be disappointed. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, tekobo said:

Great, thanks!  I thought you had forgotten this request.  Now off to find some peaches to do the recipe justice.  

I didn't forget just wanted to wait until I opened up a bottle to make sure it was as awesome as I thought it was going to be B)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Thanks @ckreef.  You reminded me to get on to our fruit and veg man to see whether he can source some tasty peaches.  I remember a road trip with family friends in California when i was 15.  We bought a box of peaches from a roadside stall and proceeded to eat them raw, in omelettes and everything else besides.  They were soooo delicious.  I have not eaten peaches as good since.   Letting nostalgia cloud things may mean that I can't bring myself to make this sauce.  Having said that, there must be some good peaches to be had from Italy and places like that.  Let the sourcing mission commence!

• Like 1

I have a large freezer drawer (1/6 of my freezer) full of frozen peaches and Ranier cherries for use this winter when I'm missing the summer fruit. This syrup/peach topping is another source of summer later this year. Don't worry I ate my share of peaches and then some along the way. 

• Like 1

Our local fruit and veg man supplies restaurants and always has super fresh produce.  I have asked him about sweet peaches and he is going to taste and compare what's available at the market to ensure that I get the sweetest possible. May end up with nectarines if they are what he deems best.  Will see how they perform in this syrup. 

• Like 2