ckreef

Grilled Peach Reef Syrup/Topping

4 hours ago, tony b said:

:hello1:

My "care package" arrived safe and sound.

1465644949_ckreefsboxofgoodies.jpg.0676b1e423084174046432402f9ac9e9.jpg

Glad to see the Reef Syrup arrived intact. Those are sort of weird bottles to use for canning. They don't really have a pop top and they barely fit in my water bath canner. None the less they looked like they sealed properly. 

Got some sweet tasty mandarins down here at the momment

Our local fruit and veg man supplies restaurants and always has super fresh produce.  I have asked him about sweet peaches and he is going to taste and compare what's available at the market to ensure that I get the sweetest possible. May end up with nectarines if they are what he deems best.  Will see how they perform in this syrup. 

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Made the syrup up today. Will wait for it to mature..  I realise that I am simply trying hard to be @ckreef.  I don't actually like sweet things, haven't eaten a waffle in years and have pancakes about once a year and yet I copied Charles' recipe and dutifully made up the syrup.  This is where I must diverge and adopt @Aussie Ora's philosophy.  That peach syrup is going on my next rack of ribs.  It'll probably take a bit of chilli too.  Looking forward to it.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Made the syrup up today. Will wait for it to mature..  I realise that I am simply trying hard to be @ckreef.  I don't actually like sweet things, haven't eaten a waffle in years and have pancakes about once a year and yet I copied Charles' recipe and dutifully made up the syrup.  This is where I must diverge and adopt @Aussie Ora's philosophy.  That peach syrup is going on my next rack of ribs.  It'll probably take a bit of chilli too.  Looking forward to it.  

I guess I better not post my bad habits - no that I have any bad habits - in my mind anyway - just don't ask Mrs skreef - LOL 

• Haha 2

On 9/15/2019 at 1:40 PM, ckreef said:
On 9/15/2019 at 9:32 AM, tekobo said:

I've just finished grilling the peaches.  I am not sure how many are going to make it into the syrup - they smell and taste heavenly!

You're supposed to buy extra - LOL 

Well, I did buy extra:

fullsizeoutput_119f.thumb.jpeg.cf4328fbbee9c43a968f45ee74364824.jpeg

However, the peaches were a bit hard and cold when they arrived so I left them for about a week to ripen.  Turns out that was a bit too long and I had to cut and throw away a fair few that had started to rot.  I missed @ckreef's instruction to grill hot and fast.  Instead grilled hot and slow and ended up with a quite smoky but delicious outcome 

249278120_u54hg9eSWGaue69rZaqWA.thumb.jpg.c9d89c085c01198f5a818ec8522cb7a5.jpg

No photo of syrup.  It's in jars in the kitchen and I am sitting in the garden.  I would say it is a little darker than the photos of Charles' and probably a little smokier.  All the better to glaze pork ribs with.  Yesterday's lunch, with chopped chilli on top.  Yum.

fullsizeoutput_1199.thumb.jpeg.3dbd8b274d0974bfe4504cc61d8004d7.jpeg

• Like 4