ckreef

Interesting Meater + Application

It's no secret, I don't really like my Meater +. My opinion is definitely tainted after being jerked around for 3 years with their kickstarter campaign. I originally ordered it for rotisserie cooks and for that application it's the only device on the market and that's where it excels. But I have a few better options for my kamados and wood fired oven so it doesn't get much use. 

Well last night I got a brilliant idea to use it in my NuKe Delta grill. I fired up the Nuke Delta grill with my grill grates and got it screaming hot. I did a quick 4 sided sear on a chunk of pork loin. I then inserted the Meater + and moved the pork loin off to the side to finish cooking with the lid down. It calculated 36 minutes to finish. 

Here is the Meater app monitoring the cook from my porch. 

imrpl3.thumb.jpg.95544e313f20e96631bf21c8322b4457.jpg

When it got down to 15 minutes remaining I put a small CI skillet on the hot side and started cooking some sizzle corn. 

imrpl1.thumb.jpg.620f1c561a98f6dc02eac75a1268fa32.jpg

When it was time to dredge in the homemade rosemary Peach glaze I switched positions to get the pork loin back over the hot side, careful to keep the Meater out towards the edge so I didn't break it. 

imrpl2.thumb.jpg.3d2803f33c97c0f31b7cc2bffecdecca.jpg

This application worked really well for the Meater + unit especially with rolling the pork loin around in the glaze. It now gets a little redemption. 

Dinner was fantastic. I'm really falling in love with the Nuke Delta grill. The cover makes indirect cooking a breeze by trapping the heat above the cook while you still get heat coming up from the fire bricks below. 

• Like 3

Nice looking cook @ckreef and neat application.  

My MEATER packed up a few weeks ago during a low and slow cook.  I raised a ticket with their support desk and they noted that I had exceeded the maximum ambient temperature of 275C on a few cooks (they could see this on my MEATER Cloud account).  They said that I had invalidated the warranty.  The good news is that, in spite of that, they offered me a replacement MEATER.   That got me thinking.  My brother in Texas bought me the MEATER in the first place and he had just received notification that the MEATER Block that he ordered for me two Christmases ago was finally to be delivered.  The deal was that he wanted me to send him the single MEATER back and I would get the Block.  I thought it would be much better if he had the MEATER+ so I asked customer service if I could pay the difference for a MEATER+.  Customer service became customer delight service when they very kindly sent me a MEATER+ at no extra charge.  So, they did take ages and ages to deliver on their original Kickstarter promises but their customer service since has been very good indeed.  

• Like 2