ThreeDJ16

Pit Cook Style Chicken

Of all the ways I enjoy chicken, pit cooked leg quarters are my favorite.  It's pretty crazy that it was cheaper for me to buy the whole chicken than a couple of leg quarters....oh well...chicken halves it is.

To simulate pit style in the KK I basically just do most of the control with the lower draft opening and not restricting the top damper as much.  Also cooked directly with no deflector between it and the coals.  Nice season rub, I use Rox rub or basic poultry season (both should be on the forum) and keep spritzing it with vinegar.  Pretty simple but great tasting.  Mustard based sauce if desired for the S Carolina chicken experience.   Recipe for my Muddied Mustard sauce should also be on the forum.

Oh and I usually cook at 275 to 300 as that seems to get you close to fall apart chicken, but not so ridiculously dry breast meat.  Most likely the breast are going in some chicken salad anyway.

Quick pic of the start.

20190817_130352.jpg

Edited by ThreeDJ16
  • Like 4

I like the grown in vegetation around the KK, gives it a grasp of comfort. I do like your plate, chicken and spinach are well positioned but the bread nestled up against the corn and what a piece of nice looking corn that is, I bet it was good. Probably local by the looks of it, if I'm not mistaken, as corn goes it's a winner. To tell the truth and not to take away from your chicken cook which by the way rooks marvelous, I just haven't met this years piece of corn for taste and sight and yours captures that picture, heck it even has a bend in the grain kernel.

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, Tyrus said:

I like the grown in vegetation around the KK, gives it a grasp of comfort. I do like your plate, chicken and spinach are well positioned but the bread nestled up against the corn and what a piece of nice looking corn that is, I bet it was good. Probably local by the looks of it, if I'm not mistaken, as corn goes it's a winner. To tell the truth and not to take away from your chicken cook which by the way rooks marvelous, I just haven't met this years piece of corn for taste and sight and yours captures that picture, heck it even has a bend in the grain kernel.

HAHAHA....I had to chop back a few elephant ears just to use the KK.  The grown in look is because I've barely been able to take care of keeping the grass cut.  Still haven't worked my way back up to using the weed eater again.  Maybe soon, but there are just some things that hurt my back much worse than others.  Pushing the mower doesn't lay me up for days, but I'll pay hell the rest of the week had I broke out the weed eater.  I'm actually surprised the ivy hasn't completely taken over my backyard in my absence.

But thanks, I'm not one for fancy presentation, just good food.

Spinach is one of the few greens I absolutely hate.  Those on the plate are curly mustard greens.  I'll eat turnips and collards too.  Not real fond of kale, but just can't seem to acquire the taste for spinach  The bi-corn was just what was available as I usually go for the silver queen (sweetest).  Most of the farmers I know had a bad year with rain coming in way too late.  So no idea if it was local or not.  Either way, it was really good and still sweet. 

If you've not had pressure cooked corn or greens, you're missing out big time.  I usually take a small ham hock (settled for a few scraps of country ham on hand), pressure cook it down with half an onion for 10 minutes.  Then the greens and the corn both only take 4 minutes at pressure.  I was lazy and just layered the steam trays, greens on bottom and corn in top tray and cooked them both at the same time....LOL...lazy but it worked.  Veggies retain so much more of their natural flavor and nutrients by not cooking them to death.  So many people I see cook greens half the day to get them soft and by then they have a dull green look instead of bright.  To me the pressure cooked corn is also sweeter.

Here's what my backyard looked like back when I could take care of it properly.  Now it's an unruly small jungle.
JasonBack.jpg

• Like 5

2 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

Love it..
Soo Happy to have you back DJ
Most of you won't recognize ThreeDJ16, he was the forums first moderator as Drunk_J  and took delivery of the 2nd  23" OTB, my father got the first.
Hurt his back and had to give up many things but he's back and is a great resource..

I'm happy to be back.  When we talked on the phone the other day, I mentioned part of this newest round of PT (it's an at home computer based program) is setting goals.  My first love was always cooking.  Started at age 7 and was the hardest thing to give up.  So it's been one of my goals to get back into life by starting back cooking and maybe starting next spring...LOL...yard work.

And to be more precise, you, Majestik and myself were the forums first admins....setting it up from scratch with PHPBB.  I do not miss that crap nowadays.  Being an admin is a completely thankless job...LOL.  So thanks to the current admins for keeping things pretty close to how we originally set it up (and adding all the nice new features with the new forum software).  Also, cool new Website.

Edited by ThreeDJ16
  • Like 2

Good fences DJ make good neighbors and that is a fence for the ages.  Bad neighbors make good fertilizer. I've been vacationing in and around the Vail Co area this week and met a woman walking her Corgi dog. She told me the poor little guy was experiencing some pain in his advanced years and she decided to take a trip down to the local hemp store to purchase some dog chews. Looked like a real mellow dog now with a great pace. Good to see your recovery is on the mend.

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1