PVPAUL

1st Pork Shoulder on KK

Well, it’s already been about 10 weeks since I’ve taken delivery of my 32”KK and doing my first Pork Shoulder! Based on some learning curves and advise from various forums and cook books I’ve arrived at the following set up and recipe. Ive got a shoulder that is about 7lbs. I dry brined it for about 12 hours with 3tsp of Kosher Salt. After this I rubbed it with yellow mustard and applied Dizzy Pig Dizzy dust. I put it on the KK at about 11PM tonight. Using about 3/4 basket of Fogo Super Premium. Set up CyberQ with a target temp of 240F. Bottom dampers closed and Pit Boss fan damper is 50% open. Top KK vent is just off the gasket. Set up KK cold smoker with a wood pellet mix of about 50/50 Hickory and apple. The photo below is the KK at the start of the cook and decided to include a picture of the moon over the lake....a beautiful evening here! Getting ready for bed now and going to trust that my set up is going to cook flawlessly.....I hope!!!

I’ll include pictures tomorrow of the cook!

Best,

Paul

93A46755-D6E7-4D55-892B-6B06B3DDFBDC.jpeg

FB27FDFC-A116-4C71-AF3D-6CB60F8EAE63.jpeg

• Like 9

Well I woke up at 6:45am and everything was running smoothly! Shoulder temp was in the about 172F. Finished at 9:00am at 203F. Wrapped in pink Butcher paper and double wrapped in foil and did the FTC method. Now it’s time to let rest and look forward to lunch!!! Below is a picture of the shoulder before pulling off the grill and couldn’t resist sending a pick of our two pups chilling by the lake!

Once I pull the shoulder and plate I’ll forward some last pictures.

Also, one question for you folks out there with the CyberQ. Towards the end of my cook my temperature jumped higher....about 273F and set point was 240F. I had the ramp feature set up....just not sure this feature works well with the KK? Any information is appreciated!

Cheers!

Paul

66448C13-CADC-43E6-A8D2-1DB0AA7B5BF2.jpeg

06439C1F-8152-43E7-A361-6D191262A307.jpeg

• Like 5

Thanks for the beautiful photos and the progress reports!   Look forward to eating report too.  

Curious, why did you wrap it in butcher paper in the foil? 

BTW, love the color of your KK.  It is a beautiful grill.

Edited by Alphonse

I wrap mostly briskets in the pink Butcher paper while still on the KK (wrap right after the stall around 170F) when it hit target IT (203F), I wrap everything up in foil to put into the cooler to rest for an hour. I'm assuming he was following a similar technique here for the butt?? 

No explanation for the last minute jump up in temps with the Guru?? Was there any appreciable wind? That can sometimes cause a vacuum drag on the top vent and pull extra air through the Guru damper, but I don't normally see this when the top is that closed down (one of the reasons that we recommend keeping it almost fully closed).

You look like the doctor of BBq with all those probes about. Good to see the dogs are having a relaxing day by the lake, hope they dove in for a swim, cooled off and didn't bring back any of the neighbors underwear.   Tell the truth Paul the probes will become alien after a time and you may put them in the draw because the cook will become so much easier to determine with the eye once your comfortable. Like wearing gloves when you don't need em.  Don't get me wrong I'll probe on a Prime Rib and related large beef pieces to ensure no spike in temp but, pork has it's own road map and it's easy to check with a hand thermo. So the next time your about cookin, pull up a chair between those two big fella's and have a chill, relax, sip on a brew and pull out your thermo only when needed. If your completely lazy, and can't get up well, stick in the probe again and stay in your chair, and when your reading the temp watch out for afternoon glare.

• Haha 1

All, thanks for your replies.As promised enclosed are a couple pictures of the cook. While I normally would only enclose photos of the cook (food) I enclosed one of my pulling the pork with the new bear claws. My daughter gave these to me for Christmas last year so I needed to have this pic taken so I could show her that I’m actually using a present she gave me! The food pic is not that great but I promised to include. Tyrus while I’m a gadget guy I do like simplicity in my life as well. I hope to someday I’ll be able to put these gadgets in the drawer like you do!

Dogs do like to cool off in the lake and visit the neighbors.....thank goodness they haven’t come home with any of the neighbors underwear....yet!!!

Best,

Paul

80860336-D6C2-45A0-831D-9095446F23EE.jpeg

D5CA5B1C-D623-4807-A83F-70908FCEBF85.jpeg

• Like 5