coolpapabill

New/used KK 23" Ultimate in the house

I am very happy to finally be a member of Komodo Kamado family not just a jealous admirer.

Found an unbelievable deal on a 3 year old KK 23" Ultimate a few weeks ago. After an 850 mile round trip from

Albuquerque to Aspen and back , with my brothers help arrived home without a scratch. The KK was essentially

new , most of the accessories and 2 of the grates had never been used. Maybe had been used 2 or 3 times total.

Besides the KK 23  standard  3 grates , deflector , and charcoal basket it came with the following ; double bottom drip

pan , two stainless side tables, baking stone , rib rack , charcoal basket splitter , stainless and teak grate grabbers , 

Sunbrella brown tweed cover , and finally 5 boxes each of CoCo Char and Coffee Char. Everything impeccable and

spotlessly clean.  $2500 for the whole package plus $500 for the trip ( hotel ,diesel , and food )   Total all in $3000

My first cook will be this weekend , have had a Kamado Joe for awhile , similar but different . Any advice , tips ,help ect...

would be greatly appreciated. Planning on doing reverse sear 2 1/2" Prime Porterhouse steaks , with a board sauce , grilled

Mexican street corn on the cob , and Hassleback potatoes.  Will be doing something low and slow and pizza next week.

I'll post pictures soon. Wish me luck.

Edited by coolpapabill
  • Like 6

Welcome to the club coolpapabill!

That’s an incredible deal you you got there, I can see why the big trip was worth it!

If you’re already familiar with cooking on other Kamado’s then there won’t be many surprises, take awhile to play with vent settings and to get the feel of how vent changes react, but apart from that you should be set from your other Kamado experience.

Any pics of the new beauty? We love pics :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10 minutes ago, coolpapabill said:

Thanks for the welcome . Yes , the journey was well worth it . A few hairy moments through

the mountains , but followed advice from both bgrant3406 on this forum as well as Dennis

and had no problems. The block underneath the legs to take the weight off the casters was 

critical to safe trip for the KK.

Can I ask what sort of block you used and how you got it on said block? Also, what sort of vehicle you transported it in? My reason for asking is that I have two KK's (23 and 32) that will be moving to my new home 2 hours from here in February. I had pondered selling these, but am now convinced I want both of them moving with me.

• Like 2

Can I ask what sort of block you used and how you got it on said block? Also, what sort of vehicle you transported it in? My reason for asking is that I have two KK's (23 and 32) that will be moving to my new home 2 hours from here in February. I had pondered selling these, but am now convinced I want both of them moving with me.

Just pay a moving company. Money well spent!

4 minutes ago, SSgt93 said:

Just pay a moving company. Money well spent!

Most likely will be the case, but still need a block for them to put it on. So would like to know more about the size and materials of said block -- 1,000 lbs is a lot of weight, especially over bumpy roads!

Most likely will be the case, but still need a block for them to put it on. So would like to know more about the size and materials of said block -- 1,000 lbs is a lot of weight, especially over bumpy roads!

We will be moving as well and the thought of moving the 42 keeps me awake at night...

• Haha 1

The "box" is a plywood box that goes under the cooker to alleviate the pressure on the legs when transporting.

See below, directly below the draft door location under to cooker.

I have made one of these before by measuring under the cooker. 

Dennis has the measurements on this forum (cannot recall where tho).

My recommendation would be to not ship any of these cookers without that block under it.

I'd recommend to have a 3/4" plywood base made, put chocks into it for the rear wheels, place the platform into the moving vehicle, trailer, roll the cooker onto it, place the block under it and chock the front wheels, then secure the cooker to a wall w/ appropriate padding.

IMG_20181108_172311.jpg 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, coolpapabill said:

My first cook will be this weekend , have had a Kamado Joe for awhile , similar but different . Any advice , tips ,help ect...

would be greatly appreciated. Planning on doing reverse sear 2 1/2" Prime Porterhouse steaks , with a board sauce , grilled

Mexican street corn on the cob , and Hassleback potatoes.  Will be doing something low and slow and pizza next week.

I'll post pictures soon. Wish me luck.

Your experience with the KJ will translate well to using the KK.  I would start using about the same KJ setting with the new KK and make subtle adjustments along the way. The new KK will take a little longer to get to temp but once it starts warming up, keep an eye on the vent adjustments as it can overshoot your desired temp quickly.  Your top vent adjustment will take the most getting used to compared to the KJ.

Have fun....the KK quality is amazing!!!  

4 hours ago, bgrant3406 said:

Congrats on the safe journey home and a hell of a deal!!!

For those contemplating a move, here is how I did it, long read and plenty of pictures!

Moving a KK, one way to do it.

Be sure to use the wide straps like bgrant3406 did on the surface of the cooker.  When I picked up the repair KK in Baltimore, my straps were narrow (1"wide) and they compressed the tiles under them about a 1/4" deeper than the surrounding tiles.  Extra material under the straps is probably a good idea also.   

Also be sure to secure down the lid of the cooker.  I did a poor job and it broke the latch on the cooker.   

• Thanks 1

Agreed on wide straps , we used three 2" wide ratchet straps . One to the front pulling straight forward 

and two straps to the back one to each side . All 3 were crossed over prevents slipping . Finally an inch

and half strap over the lid pulling straight down kept the KK from rocking ( put some light foam under this 

one ,the rest were bare on the tile ) . Was solid as rock , only needed to tighten slightly one time.

• Like 1