coolpapabill

First cook on KK

I'm doing my first cook tomorrow on my new to me KK 23. Planning on doing ribs and

smoked spatchcock chicken. Will probably run it 225 to 250 degrees . I have two

quick questions . 1) Do you use the heat deflector , drip pan ( mine has the double

bottom ) , or both together ?  2) What are the approximate settings of the bottom and

top vents you use for that temperature ? I understand each one is a little different just

looking for a starting point . Thanks very much for any help and input

1) Ditch the deflector stone - no one, not even Dennis, uses it. Just slows down your cooks to heat up the extra mass. Just put some aluminum foil on the lower grate to serve as your heat deflector. You don't need mass, just a barrier to the infrared heat from the coals. Save the double bottom pan for its intended use - catching drippings onto veggies or making a nice gravy. 

2) For that temp range, top vent should be about a 1/8 turn open (just barely off the seat) and the bottom vent is not controlling, just open enough to let air in for the fire. If you have the dual dial lower vent door, either: use one of the middle holes on the right, or a 1/4" sliver on the left one. 

• Like 2