darksilkx

22" Table Top kitchen build - question

Hi all, I took delivery of my 22 TT about 3 months ago but am just now getting my out door kitchen built.  The 22 TT will be built in to the island on an appropriately braced 12inch platform.  The builder wants to know if there will be any heat transfer from the cooker to the granite base of the platform possibly cracking the granite.  If that's to be expected, he wants to place some sort of non conducting barrier between the base of the cooker and the granite - flat travertine pavers or something similar.  Does anyone know if heat transfer from the base of the KK is something significant to be worried about?  I've reached to Dennis also to get his thoughts, waiting to hear back. Thanks!

Kitchen.jpg

• Like 1

Let Dennis have the final say, since I don't know how thick the insulation is on the bottom of the firebox? But, I don't think that it's anything to be concerned about, as you will always be heating up/cooling down fairly slowly, so no thermal shock to worry about. I have granite countertops in my indoor kitchen and have had no problems setting hot pots/pans directly on it out of a 450F oven. I don't know what the long-term effects will be after many thermal cycles like yours will see? Does granite spall?

But, Inquiring Minds Like Ours, Would Like To Know - how did you manage to have a KK for 3 months without cooking on it?? Insane amount of patience! 

Edited by tony b

Safety is your primary concern otherwise you wouldn't ask the ?  Having an air space underneath using a 1/2 in. non flammable to raise the KK on either side aprox 2 inches wide helps to minimize heat transfer vs direct contact.  You may not need it at all, better to be safe than sorry. I do have a Kamado of a different brand and for many years it has sat on wood without incident. Realize that the ash falling on the bottom contributes to the insulation factor so maybe a solid inside buffer could be a consideration. Something small with minimal heat transfer. You'll have to squeeze that by the warranty provider of course before it's considered.

darksilkx,  I asked the same question when I got my 19TT.  I was told that the bottom would get warm but not scorching hot.  I had my 19TT on a wood platform with air slots for about a year and did not see any heat scorching on the wood when I took it off.  I moved it to a portable metal cart with a vinyl cover over the metal.  Also no signs of melting vinyl under the cooker.   HOWEVER....I do not do a lot of high temp cooks.  My highest temp cooks are around 350*F.    I would be more worried about moisture getting underneath and the freeze/thaw effects (not sure where you live).  The metal bottom of the KK could take it but not sure about the granite.   Might cause spalling over time like tony b mentioned ?????

PS - Dennis didn't have the 22TT when I bought my 19 or I would have one also.  You are going to enjoy the extra space.