MacKenzie

Fresh Corn

I just had the most delicious supper, 6 cobs of picked today corn. This is especially for Tony, who loves corn on the cob as much as I do. :)

Looks like 5 cobs but there are 6 here.

1262758766_LooksLike5butIs6.thumb.jpg.04390f7717f8d7c1740c73cfd843cc60.jpg

Ready to inhale. ;)

538726527_HereWeGo.thumb.jpg.56da8b657629db7bbcb070a2270f0233.jpg

112834122_CornDressed.thumb.jpg.0646684112c6e9c3e2531263b6848c15.jpg

End of story.

241961145_EndofMyStory.thumb.jpg.e6109a3d982b2a1037ce6be90760b947.jpg

Also tried a new sour to me sourdough recipe and even though I did make some mistakes it turned out, had a nice tang to it and I will do it again. There was mostly bread flour but some rye and some home ground whole wheat.

1845133400_SourdoughBread.thumb.jpg.e7f5dce7f7cf3b2ec334ea581423489a.jpg

1092518757_SourdoughBreadCrumb.thumb.jpg.1df61870a9683d8f54e4af45252436a6.jpg

• Like 7

@ Tyrus, may I suggest you not get between me and fresh corn. :grin:

@ tekobo, I've cooked corn many different ways but always come back to steaming it. For toppings I really only want butter, salt and pepper, keeping it simple. :iconbiggrin:

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Haha 1

No way would I get between you and your corn, your a Canadian and we all know how they love their corn. Wars were started on less. No,, maybe I didn't explain myself, I was thinking it would of been nice to take a picture with one corn left, post it and give Toney the thought you saved him a piece, kinda like leaving a empty place setting at the table for a wayward guest,,all symbolic but, it's the thought that counts. Then your safe and you can gobble it down. Think I remember reading that in my Emily Post edition.

• Haha 2

19 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

@ tekobo, I've cooked corn many different ways but always come back to steaming it. For toppings I really only want butter, salt and pepper, keeping it simple. :iconbiggrin:

Thanks Mac.  I thought that cooking in the skin on the KK would be hard to beat.  I have never tried steaming corn.  Will try it with my next batch.  If the critters on the allotment leave me any.  I just read about putting socks or empty pop bottles over the top of the corn once pollinated.  Going to try that even though it looks ridiculous!

2 hours ago, tony b said:

While I love the visual of it, I'm not convinced the sock puppet corn idea will work, especially if the critters are raccoons. They'll just break off the ears and pull the socks off. 

Good for birds I think but coons would make fast work of them.:) They are clever little devils. 

On 9/1/2019 at 7:02 AM, tekobo said:

Thanks Mac.  I thought that cooking in the skin on the KK would be hard to beat.  I have never tried steaming corn.  Will try it with my next batch.  If the critters on the allotment leave me any.  I just read about putting socks or empty pop bottles over the top of the corn once pollinated.  Going to try that even though it looks ridiculous!

Another way, soft butter, salt pepper or whatever spices to fit the dinner...........wrap individually in alum foil till hand hot all around., done  and ready to servrrre. let them unwrap

• Thanks 1

On 9/2/2019 at 5:48 PM, tony b said:

While I love the visual of it, I'm not convinced the sock puppet corn idea will work, especially if the critters are raccoons. They'll just break off the ears and pull the socks off. 

On 9/2/2019 at 7:58 PM, MacKenzie said:

Good for birds I think but coons would make fast work of them.:) They are clever little devils. 

When I was 16 I left Nigeria to visit a friend who lived in Kenya.  I found it difficult to get my head around the fact that she said I was to bring socks and warm clothing.  Cold? In Africa?  I learned that lesson the hard way.

You seem to be having similar difficulty with my current predicament.  You have racoons.  We don't and I don't think I have ever seen one in real life.  What we do have are foxes (not interested in corn), pigeons (only interested in shredding my brassicas or pooing on them from on high if I put a cage around them - either way the pigeons win) and Fred the cat (mostly interested in cuddles).  Oh yes, and rats.  The rats are the ones that get the corn.  My allotment neighbours seem to have successfully protected theirs with old socks.  I don't have any old socks so I have ordered some cheap green socks in the hope that they will blend in.  Will report on success or lack thereof.  

• Haha 1

I'll take the coons over the rats any day.  :)  :) :)  Actually the coons drove me out of raising corn. They come and rip a few cobs down to check it they are ready for eating and if not they leave and come back just the time you are ready to pick and they clean the whole patch out overnight. Short of an electric fence I don't know how to stop them from destroying a small home patch. If I grew an acre I might get some before they cleaned it. 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

I'll take the coons over the rats any day.  :)  :) :)  Actually the coons drove me out of raising corn. They come and rip a few cobs down to check it they are ready for eating and if not they leave and come back just the time you are ready to pick and they clean the whole patch out overnight. Short of an electric fence I don't know how to stop them from destroying a small home patch. If I grew an acre I might get some before they cleaned it. 

2 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Play Canadian music...........that'll keepem at bay

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

Actually I have tried playing the radio all night in my corn patch. When I got up the corn was gone and it seems they made a patch to dance in while eating my corn. :) 

See you played that dance music, should have put on a little Barry White and the corn would have been left alone. Granted the population explosion would be a "next year" problem, but by then you would have figured out how to move them along!

• Haha 4