jrc87

SBB42 or BB32

I am thinking about getting a BB32. After talking with Dennis I am considering a SBB42. In practical terms, the 32 would be the right size to pick but the 42 looks amazing. I am ok upgrading to the 42 but wanted to ask those who have the 42 in a multiple KK combination. I wamt to know how impractical the 42 is for small cooks and day to day life. I generally cook for 4 people with the 5-10 person cook couple times a year during holidays and such.

• How hard and/or impractical would the 42 be as a main cooker in a family of 4? (couple steaks and couple burgers for the kiddos is 95% of my cooks)
  • How's the fuel consumption of the 42 compared to the 32?
  • For those who have had other Kamados in the market: In relative terms, how is the fuel consumption of the 32 Vs BGE or KJ for hot and fast cooks? Given the bigger volume of the 32, I imagine it takes quite a bit of energy to get hot right?

All in all, I am sold on the 32. Just wanted to get some input regarding the 42. The only reason I have to get the 42 is the looks. I just don't want to sacrifice practicality too much. In other words, if it's going to be drag to deal with such a big grill in my smallish cooks just for the looks, I wouldn't get it. What you guys think?

Thanks!

PS: just to clarify, the 32 is awesome too. But he 42 is drool worthy. Truth be told, KK's are the only grills I would want to showcase in my patio rather than putting them in the far corner of my yard (which is what I do now with my current grill)

Seems to me and I think it's within reason that the 32 for 4 at home is more than enough and would carry over for a good amount of guests,, I have a 23 and feel comfortable.  Pequod  has the 32 and I believes it's his goto. Are your looking to dress to impress,,because I believe they all do no matter the size. The 32 would I presume would fit your concerns, my thought.

Yes. The 32 is the sane choice 100%. . As I mentioned this is just me after the looks of the 42. How bad would it be in practical terms is the question. Is the 42 only good when you're doing a massive cook? how bad is it for a small cook?

I found this post about someone using their 23 with a charcoal basket. This got me thinking if the key would be to load a charcoal basket like that for smaller quick cooks (couple burgers, etc).

All in all, I don't want to buy the 42 just to realize it is so massive it's impractical for me to use. Is that the case?

Here is an idea to think about . Get the BB32 and pair it with either the 23" Ultimate or 21" Supreme ( if you have the room ).

Cost is approximately the same , but you get two cooking areas for different types and temperature cooks  , more cooking

space is sq inches, and a lot less charcoal use. My guess is you would the use either the 23" or 21" far more often day to day

cooks than the 32". Just food for thought.

8 minutes ago, coolpapabill said:

Here is an idea to think about . Get the BB32 and pair it with either the 23" Ultimate or 21" Supreme ( if you have the room ).

Cost is approximately the same , but you get two cooking areas for different types and temperature cooks  , more cooking

space is sq inches, and a lot less charcoal use. My guess is you would the use either the 23" or 21" far more often day to day

cooks than the 32". Just food for thought.

This is my configuration - 23 and 32. Offers more flexibility than one large grill since I can do one temp/technique on one and something else on the other. For example, I can smoke a bunch o’ butts on the 23 at 250 while spatching a load o’ chooks on the 32 at 400.

For day to day use, I recommend the 32 over the 23, but that’s just me. 

• Like 2

Hi, SBB42 owner here.

I was an XL BGE user (as well as a few other BGE’s used with the XL) for a few decades. It was a nice setup but often times I needed and wanted more. I also began looking at the 32 for my family of 4 (now 3 as my daughter has moved out). I entertain from time to time and also wanted to be able to do a whole hog on occasion, so the 42 made sense to me, even though I’m normally cooking for 3.

There is a lump reducing basket, and with the multi configurations of grated, I often cook smaller and use very little lump. Last week alone I just threw on a few porterhouse steaks for the wife and I while my son was at a friends. It cooks amazing small or big. I did. It want a bunch of other size grills around my pool and. The 42 looks gorgeous, cooks small when need be efficiently, and is a workhouse when you need it. I hope this helps.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2

These shots clearly demonstrate the size difference between the 32" and 42" grills. 
As you can see I cut the actual 32" mockup and slipped 10" in the middle and then pulled the molds.

foam42from32.jpg

32 to 42 Foam.jpg

Insta*32and 42MainGrate.jpg

The fence of the splitter is on two 3/8" SS rods and can be moved to any position. Because you only need to heat the grates above the charcoal for grilling it comes to temp as quickly as any of the other sizes. In the smallest setting it's about the same volume as the 23" Ultimate with the splitter at 50%. 

42FullSplitter_large.jpg?1669242BasketSplitter_large.jpg?16684

But when you need the real estate.. The 42" SBB has got ya covered.

42Glowing.jpg

• Like 2

I have had the 42 for about 2 months, so new to it and working through options - mostly cooking for a family of four, and double that 3-4 times a month.  What I have worked out for everyday cooks is to split off both ends of the firebox and cook on the lower center grate for most med/hot cooks.  (Salmon, tuna, steak, pork tenderloin, etc.).  Using some ceramic plates for now, Dennis is shipping me another steel divider for the other side.  This works VERY well since often times we do the entire dinner on the grill and use the top side racks for veggies, etc. Attached a couple photos as examples.  

DC6539B0-7691-40DF-8B41-23C7A55E611C.jpeg

F9640118-701E-494D-9072-3581E20680AA.jpeg

5691B5B4-94F8-4180-94E7-82DB291CB4AA.jpeg

FEB01E9C-786A-459F-BDC0-F4AFB0AF1898.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

jrc87..........I believe the main difference you would see between the two sizes would be the time it would take to "slowly" heat the cooker up for low & slow indirect cooking temps of 250*-275*F.  I base this on my experience with my 16" and 19" TT's .    I can get both the 16 and 19 up to searing temps or for direct cooking in the same amount of time.   If I'm slowly bringing the KK up to 250*F for indirect cooks, the 19" takes a little longer.  

I also own a Primo Jr. and XL.  That was the main difference I found with those units also.  When I used the XL for small direct cooks the charcoal basket divider worked great. 

I have seen the 32"KK in person and there is no doubt in my mind that the 42 SBB  is my next purchase.   I love the oval shape of the Primo's and the 42KK is the closest along with the KK quality.    

My 2 cents but you can't go wrong with either.

PS - if I was starting over with a clean slate...........I would get the 42" and the 16" KK............................perfect combo in my simple mind.   

• Like 1

Having only the 32 to judge by I can tell you it is very versatile, Either way you choose get a basket slitter, or 2.  I can cook for 20 easily on the 32 but usually cook for 4-5 so a 32 will cover your needs as I understand them

Either way there is no wrong choice as you can cook for as few as you like to as many as you can fit in

Enjoy whichever you choose

Yes, the more sensible  choice would be the 32. However, my heart is with the 42. So, it's not you 32, it's me....

I contacted Dennis and changed my order to a 42 SBB in Terra blue!!!! . My countdown now begins. I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas. 

Thanks a lot everyone! So many helpful comments and ideas. Couple things that swayed me to change my 32 order to the 42:

1. YOLO

2. The fact that as awesome as the 32 is/would be, I would always have the 42 in the back of my mind.  "if I had just...." 

3. If I ever decide to get another KK, I can always pair with a 21 or 23.

4. Like someone said above, this is not a sensible purchase. After all, We're talking about the most overbuilt grill in the world. So I followed my heart for this one. 

I will post some pictures when I get it. 

• Like 5
  • Haha 2

Yes, the more sensible  choice would be the 32. However, my heart is with the 42. So, it's not you 32, it's me....
I contacted Dennis and changed my order to a 42 SBB in Terra blue!!!! . My countdown now begins. I feel like a kid counting down to Christmas. 
Thanks a lot everyone! So many helpful comments and ideas. Couple things that swayed me to change my 32 order to the 42:
1. YOLO
2. The fact that as awesome as the 32 is/would be, I would always have the 42 in the back of my mind.  "if I had just...." 
3. If I ever decide to get another KK, I can always pair with a 21 or 23.
4. Like someone said above, this is not a sensible purchase. After all, We're talking about the most overbuilt grill in the world. So I followed my heart for this one. 

I will post some pictures when I get it. 

Congrats! You’re going to love it.

What accessories did you pick?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk