Tyrus

Any ideas

I happened upon this industrial crucible approx 3 years ago and found a place for it along side a shed, it was tightly covered it to the weather and was unwrapped today. When I placed it there it was in perfect shape and coincidently it had never been used. The moisture extracted some of the iron along it's surface and it weeped out, no biggee. I was thinking of a Konro, already has a place to rest tools. Dimensions are HT 22"  O.D. 16"  I.D. 12.25" wall thickness 1and7/8"  WT. incredibly heavy.  It does have possibilities and potential. It's time to put it on the shop table and maybe you may have an idea.  Please, no space shuttles or tea pot ideas. Thanks

DSCF2685.JPG

DSCF2686.JPG

DSCF2687.JPG

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Tucker said:

You could make a water feature out of it.

Use it as the centerpiece w/ water running out of the spout

O K Tucker you did an end around on me, no spaceships or tea pots.........didn't imagine lawn ornament.  Actually I was thinking fire and BBQ for help. Well, excuse me if I didn't explain the purpose of a crucible..........it holds molten metals and can withstand an immense amount heat. OK we go forward from here, think BBQ, meat and if you have to, throw on some sauce, and that should keep everyone on track.  Lawn ornament???,,,your killing me............gotta check if I'm on the right site

30 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

Tucker, that is exactly what I was thinking the moment I saw it. :smt060

YOU, we'll attend to later.  You musta been a wrestler cause your always tag teaming up.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Basher said:

Tyrus that's a unique object and shape. What is it made of and what does it weigh?

Do you know how it was suspended and tipped to pour?

Thanks Basher I was going down for the third time.  To tell the truth it's awkward to pick-up and I don't have a scale to measure, possibly 150 Lbs plus or minus. These objects still used today are introduced into a blast furnace with a composition of metal percentages that a customer would require for their end result/purchase.  In smaller applications you can pull out metals in a homemade furnace with tongs but with crucibles this large {and there are ones in the steel industry a hundred times larger} another support system is employed. A forklift specially fitted with large tongs that will grab the sides and turn it toward the area to spill it's contents into a mold are used Larger ones require a thick metal band positioned for balance with heavy pinned brackets that allow it be tilted and pour it's contents. These a generally supported by cranes. I'm sure you could google a vid of the process especially in the steel industry. I'm no expert, but familiar with the concept. OK got any ideas, I do but looking for some suggestions. Thanks

Interesting, So you either build fire into it, or around it.

It's a cauldron for your wizards brew Tyrus. Just not sure what you would end up brewing in it. It would be a shame to start cutting holes into it

I would think the first thing is to see if you can find the centre of gravity. And consider a band around that centre to create an easy pivot point if it was suspended between two rods within or just above a fire pit.

It'll be interesting to see what ideas come forward.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Basher said:

Interesting, So you either build fire into it, or around it.

It's a cauldron for your wizards brew Tyrus. Just not sure what you would end up brewing in it. It would be a shame to start cutting holes into it

I would think the first thing is to see if you can find the centre of gravity. And consider a band around that centre to create an easy pivot point if it was suspended between two rods within or just above a fire pit.

It'll be interesting to see what ideas come forward.

The idea is to build a fire into it supported off the circular inner surface maybe half way up for a coal area then to cook on a grate up high.  I would cut into the side a vent below that point for air to feed that fire and the remaining depth would be the ash pan. No stew or brew, steak and bake, that's what I'm stickin TOO.

Tyrus,

I am very familiar with crucibles;)

In my youth I worked at Inductotherm Corp (https://inductotherm.com/) making heat induction coils for various applications, some ranging as large as 25' high, 10' diameter to go around large crucibles.

I was just reacting to the pictures w/o a forethought to purpose; just initial gut reaction.

Anything you make out of it will be a great conversation piece for sure; looking forward to seeing what you arrive at!

• Thanks 1

Very interesting indeed Tucker an amazing process. When I found the piece in the closed factory the machinery had all been purchased and sent to Korea. I thought it similar to walking through a grave yard...the hussle and bussle of employees gone and forgotten was somewhat haunting and it reminded me of a war zone. Anyhow I couldn't say what method was used to melt the metals except for the refractory laying about. So, no worries I was just having a little fun, poking the fire so to speak.  I'll let Dennis continue making the high end grills while my search for the Holy grail continues. Stay tuned.                                Two types of induction cored and coreless, this plant did the cored, I understand they used gas to heat the metal then work it and fabricate it as another application                                                                                                            

Edited by Tyrus

I haven't forgotten, sometime you put things on the shelf but, eventually they come down. This piece I cut in half, using a 4.5 in grinder with a diamond blade, unfortunately,.... the piece was 2 inches thick and having to keep the guard on I couldn't cut thoroughly through.  In the end the piece separated using an oscillating tool and a number of bits being used.  Looks like two massive Konros up for design and and a lot of grinding to smooth. Just the beginning, a delicate procedure going forth and unsure of the outcome but anticipate two unusual grills.

DSCF3048.JPG

DSCF3049.JPG

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2

Interesting @Tyrus.  I have no experience of building a grill and I am struggling to see this as a grill with the open end.  Are you planning to block that off with something else?  I really like the ruggedness of the piece and think it would make a nice feature in the garden.  

• Like 2

On the open ends I intend to close them with a refractory board. They will mounted with small lags fit into sleeves with permatex high heat sealant to hold the refractory snug against the 2 inch surface and it will be fashioned with a adjustable sliding air intake.  The spout will most likely be a front leg once the refractory is applied and then filled with a cement.  The support legs for both will be made of wood scribed to fit snuggle to it's bottom with glass gasket for protection against the heat . Painting one color will be easy with high heat engine block paint or maybe just some stove paint. Let me tell after cutting the piece I didn't realize the amount of black soot it produced.....had to toss my cloths in the trash and I don't relish in the thought of visiting it again unless dressed in a operating room smock, eye wear and breathing mask. Later a  grate will be fashioned for the cooking top and a lower grate for holding up the coal for good air flow.  That's easy to say....as long as all goes as planned. The summer is long and I have many projects to complete and many miles to travel before I sleep. 

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 2