tekobo

Now Look What You Made Me Do Charles!

5 hours ago, tony b said:

Gorgeous, Tekobo! You both are lucky (and Sinbad, too!) Can't wait to see the finished ODK! I'm so jealous of you folks. I'd so love to have an ODK, but the climate here is just prohibitive for 2/3 of the year. 

Tony I think you got it backwards. A proper ODK makes that 2/3's of the year possible. Plenty of outdoor heating possibilities inside an ODK. 

BTW - it's now boxed up and in my truck. Hopefully sometime first of next week I'll be able to get to the post office. 

On 9/6/2019 at 5:48 PM, ckreef said:

To be honest I totally love mine. Kamados do a good job on basically every type of cook. Argentine style grills (burning logs) do an exceptional job on certain cooks. I doubt I'll ever cook a big steak on anything but my NuKe Delta grill from here out. 

@ckreef Charles, curious how you cook your steaks on the NuKe Delta............sear close to the coals and then raise grate to finish, or start high and then lower to reverse sear or consistent grate height?????   Thanks. 

(Figured @tekobo might like to know also) 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Jon B. said:

@ckreef Charles, curious how you cook your steaks on the NuKe Delta............sear close to the coals and then raise grate to finish, or start high and then lower to reverse sear or consistent grate height?????   Thanks. 

(Figured @tekobo might like to know also) 

Basically sear low extra high heat then move steak off to the side to low-n-slow it up to MD rare. I have become a huge fan of forward searing. It produces better  more precise results compared to a reverse sear. 

Reverse sear is popular because it's easier to do with just one grill especially if that one grill is a kamado. Me and @tekobo  no longer have that problem B)

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, ckreef said:

Basically sear low extra high heat then move steak off to the side to low-n-slow it up to MD rare. I have become a huge fan of forward searing. It produces better  more precise results compared to a reverse sear. 

Reverse sear is popular because it's easier to do with just one grill especially if that one grill is a kamado. Me and @tekobo  no longer have that problem B)

The first time I cooked on the Gabby Grill I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it.   Tried cooking over a "active" open flame instead of coals.  Ended up moving the cooking grate up and down like a yo-yo.  It wasn't pretty.  :grin: 

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

The first time I cooked on the Gabby Grill I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it.   Tried cooking over a "active" open flame instead of coals.  Ended up moving the cooking grate up and down like a yo-yo.  It wasn't pretty.  :grin: 

I don't really do open flames they are more just extremely hot fresh coals for the sear. Maybe a little flames and some smoke. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Ha ha.  The ability to move the food closer and further from the fire with ease is one of the fun things about this grill.  There was an option to split the bed so that you could move the two halves independently.  I/we decided not to go for that option because that would have involved reducing the space available for grilling.  I am expecting to use a combination of moving coals around on the bed to create cold and hot zones and raising and lowering the grates to control and vary the temperature.

The ODK should be ready in time for The Husband's birthday in late October.  I have bought him the Seven Fires book by Francis Mallman who he likes.  I have bought myself a book called Charred & Scruffed by Adam Perry Lang.  Interesting views about grilling meat and he does do "clinching" a lot.  Lots to explore!

• Like 4