2Club

Love my KK but need tailgate Grill

I have a Akorn Jr and a Primo Oval Jr with GO cradle for portable kamados. The Akorn Jr I've carried down to a beach in the past. The Primo Oval Jr would be too heavy to carry any distance but is a good size if it's staying on the back of your truck. 

Bubba Keg is a larger steel kamado that has a tow hitch cradle option. 

I am a fan of PK grills and personally have a PK 360.   I am quite pleased with the grill and use it fairly often.   

For the RV, I have also considered an Original PK that folds up.  It is not heavy and easy to haul.   I am not keen on a hitch mounted grill.  I would store this one and pull it out when needed.  PK sells a stand for their Original that allows you to put the grill on a flat surface like a hitch mounted table.   In fact, PK often offers an incentive of including the small stand as part of the grill package.  

If you or someone close is a real DIYer, you could fabricate a hitch mount for the PK360.  It is easily removed from its pedestal stand. (There is a knob for removing it from the pedestal - circled in red in photo below.)    The side tables on the PK360 are easily removed as well.  

image.png.4ceb266ef70933a9ce4032e827a6af08.png

image.png.4606405b9fde0c59ee962dcd87d98ef1.png

image.png.af895bce64fb3e2eee374f069339006f.png

Edited by Alphonse
  • Like 2

I first bought the Kamado Joe Jr. as my Tailgate grill but it was a little heavy to carry a distance and being ceramic .......needed to be careful transporting.  Bought the Acorn Jr. and have been quite happy with it.  Much lighter and less fragile.  Works great for it's size.    Also have a Cobb grill.  Super portable, works great but limited in cooking space. 

My son-in-law has the PK Original.  He loves it.  Light weight cast aluminum and tons of cooking space.    If you are looking for a hitch mounted grill....... Alphonse's idea with the PK 360 is a great option. 

COBB Grills Premier with Bag and Roast Rack Image 1 of 1 Cobb Grill

• Like 2

Big Green Egg MiniMax is my choice. It is about 100 lbs. I have no issues carrying it by myself with the integrated handles, however I understand it is easier to move it with two people. The removable foldable nest and egg mates make it an awesome tailgate or camping setup.
8aeaab51be2866e86064edd2a875a557.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 2