Houlester

Buying my first and hopefully my last question?

The largest item I’ll cook is a whole brisket or a couple racks of ribs. I was thinking of the 23 or 21? I would like to purchase just the right size and big enough to be able to smoke a brisket while I sleep at night and not worry about the coals going out. Thanks in advance for any help. 

Edited by Houlester

Hello Houlester, in the KK forum there is a section called “KK Reviews / Happy Campers” in about the 9th thread down there is a thread titled “Comparison between KK 21” and KK23” that was done by Tekobo. This is an excellent thread and helped me make my decision on which one to go with. Good Luck!

Paul

PS - I choose the 21” and just received it today!!!

• Like 2

@Houlester I was new to kamado style cooking when I first chose my KKs and I didn't imagine how many different things I would want and be able to do once I had them.  You may well find that your needs expand beyond those that you have currently identified.  If you have not already it is probably worth looking at a range of cooks on the forum to see if a 21, 23 or even a 32 would best suit the new things you might want to do.  

For my part, the half grate that Dennis introduced in the 23 has revolutionised my use of that grill and, if I had to only choose one of the two I would go with the 23 at the moment.  

All, attached are some photos of my new 21” that I received yesterday. Uncrating and everything went well. Planing my first cook on the grill tonight .....some Cornish hens, sweet potatoes and corn. I’ll work on taking a picture of this as well.

The one issue I’m having is the clearance on the spit rod. I understand how to adjust the length of the rod, however when I finally get the clearance to insert rod on both sides it looks like it will fall out of the left side (not stay seated) of the grill. I’m concerned that when I go to use this it will not spin properly or stop spinning altogether. Any suggestions out here in forum land is much appreciated. (Note I’ve successfully set up the length on my 32” and have no issues with this)

I’m also excited that I was able to order 20 boxes of CoCo charcoal and 1 box of Coffee Charcoal. I’m going to give away 2 boxes of coco char to some friends with BGE’s in hope that they like it and will want to do a combo / pallet buy the next time I need some. Who knows.......maybe they will even convert to becoming KK owners!!!

Best,

Paul

75D8686A-A759-4734-83B3-69586525388C.jpeg

E63BE9FA-2481-4F05-8E8D-3538C5B709FE.jpeg

• Like 7

Thanks for all the info everybody. I wish I never found Komodo Kamado while researching. I went and looked at a Big Green Egg XL and a Primo XL and it's like having the option to drive an S-Class but cross shopping Kia. 

I got into Pellet grills with Traeger about 20 years ago and recently purchased a Yoder YS1500 for my office. I'm thinking with this purchase instead of making multiple purchases for smokers over the next 5 years maybe I should just go for it now. The one worry I have with the 42 or 32 is how am I going to get this through the grass of my backyard, over a few steps, through my screened door, and onto my pavers around the pool? I could probably man handle the 23 with 4 guys but I don't see any man handling with the 42. I would have to have a strong man event at my house to do that. 

55 minutes ago, Houlester said:

Thanks for all the info everybody. I wish I never found Komodo Kamado while researching. I went and looked at a Big Green Egg XL and a Primo XL and it's like having the option to drive an S-Class but cross shopping Kia. 

I got into Pellet grills with Traeger about 20 years ago and recently purchased a Yoder YS1500 for my office. I'm thinking with this purchase instead of making multiple purchases for smokers over the next 5 years maybe I should just go for it now. The one worry I have with the 42 or 32 is how am I going to get this through the grass of my backyard, over a few steps, through my screened door, and onto my pavers around the pool? I could probably man handle the 23 with 4 guys but I don't see any man handling with the 42. I would have to have a strong man event at my house to do that. 

Heavy plywood, push & roll, don't lift and 4 guys could handle.  The screen door width might be a problem.