KKash

New KK 42 SBB owner, with question!!

Hi All,

Just received my KK 42 SBB and it is amazing!!

As you all know, a lot of parts come with the KK and while I figured out where most of the parts go, there are some that I’m a little confused about - this is a really basic thing! 

Wondered if there are other 42 SBB owners out there who can help explain where these parts go into the grill !

Please see attached picture and see if you can identify all the items. BTW I did get a pizza stone, so that is one of the pairs of stones in this picture. 

Thanks all!!!

11804FC1-C53F-423D-A714-FF3805150CF6.jpeg

From left to right

Deflector plates - deflector plates - pizza stones.  (most - including Dennis - will tell you not to bother with the deflectors.  I put one set in the bottom of my 42 below the firebox to catch coals, and don't use the other set)

The oval wire propped against the wall is to hold a set of deflector places - attaches to the 2 side pieces next to it, those slot into holes on the front and back of the firebox.  There is a you tube video showing that setup somewhere.

The wooden handles can be bolted to the top if you ever need to take the top off in moving it.   

Hope this helps

• Thanks 1

The stones are for indirect cooking on different levels of grates, but aren’t really needed. It’s for those that come over from Big Green Eggs etc. you can use the really nice drip pans for indirect. At least that’s what I do.

All the other grates can be configured In different ways.

The gorgeous team handles are for removing the lid to replace springs etc if need be. They also help to move it if you need to do that.

Welcome to the 42SBB club. More pics please.

Edit: just saw that Mc resounded already.

Tip: line the pans with tin foil to help keep them nice and easier to clean.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Thanks 1

Thank you all!!

That was helpful information. I didn’t put any deflector plate/stones in, so that sounds like that is ok?

Going through the venting process right now, which is interesting and stressful at the same time! Had a couple of tiles lift, but looking good. Running at about 540-550F and will keep it there for the prescribed 4-6 hours. 

Then I read I should gradually take it to 650F to finish off the process. 

Any hints or tips from anyone on this? Seems like it’s going to plan!

Thanks!!

• Like 1

Thank you all!!
That was helpful information. I didn’t put any deflector plate/stones in, so that sounds like that is ok?
Going through the venting process right now, which is interesting and stressful at the same time! Had a couple of tiles lift, but looking good. Running at about 540-550F and will keep it there for the prescribed 4-6 hours. 
Then I read I should gradually take it to 650F to finish off the process. 
Any hints or tips from anyone on this? Seems like it’s going to plan!
Thanks!!

Sounds like you have it down. I don’t use any stones in mine. I keep the bottom under the firebox open so I don’t worry about airflow issues, but I also vacuum it out often, especially before long smokes.

Just keep your eye on it from time to time and push the areas that bubble back. There is a great thread on it in the owners area that’s very helpful.

If you need to talk, dm me for a number. I’m having a dinner party in about an hour and a half but if you need me I will be there to help.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, SSgt93 said:

Sounds like you have it down. I don’t use any stones in mine. I keep the bottom under the firebox open so I don’t worry about airflow issues, but I also vacuum it out often, especially before long smokes.

Just keep your eye on it from time to time and push the areas that bubble back. There is a great thread on it in the owners area that’s very helpful.

If you need to talk, dm me for a number. I’m having a dinner party in about an hour and a half but if you need me I will be there to help.

Appreciated! I think I’m doing ok, just have to keep going...of course the incentive to get it done is the next cook!!

• Like 1

The burn in is a little nerve wrecking but then you get I to it and realize it’s nothing. After that, it’s all great cooks! Just remember when you are playing with the vents to remember what setting you have for what temps. That will help a lot in the future. The goal is never to over shoot your temp as these things retain heat like nothing else. Dropping temp can take some time. Absolutely amazing grills. You will love it! Congrats again, and if you need anything, please let me know.

• Like 1

I’ve had the KK SBB42 for a few months now and it’s amazing! Really enjoy running a cook on it every time, and as you all know the results are excellent!!

I did the burn in (earlier message from me here) quite a while ago and that went fairly well (a little stressful if I’m honest), and I mopped up the solvent that comes from the tiles, however after it was all done and cooled down I do have some white solvent marks still. They are still there because I hadn’t worried about them too much, but now I want to remove them.

What process works best for removing the white solvent marks? The areas I’m most worried about are on the grout material...

Since it has been a while since the solvent marks formed, it will take a bit of work to get them off the grout. If some are resistant to the Zep and Magic Eraser, you can thin some of the extra grout from your maintenance kit with a little water to a paint consistency and go over the remaining white grout with it.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, KKash said:

What process works best for removing the white solvent marks? The areas I’m most worried about are on the grout material...

Wot @jonj said.  I tried all sorts of chemicals to get the marks off my dark grout and, in the end, I followed advice from Dennis on another thread which said to reapply the grout.  I just used the grout straight from the tube, rubbed it over with my finger, waited for it to dry and rubbed the dried grout off the tiles.  Very easy and it gets rid of those unsightly white marks.  

Edited by tekobo
  • Like 5