Pequod

Porter Road?

@tony b - you’ve used Porter Road and seem pleased. Anyone else tried them? Lots of folks at Amazing Ribs like their meats. Have wanted to try them, but can’t find a definition on their website of what they call “pastured”. In their process description it sounds like organic grain fed and finished, but they don’t say for sure. I hesitate to pay premium prices for what may just be “Safeway” grade products.

In short, what makes Porter Road special, and what cuts have you tried and liked?

Oh and post a discount code if you have one you can share.

Edited by Pequod

I've tried the Bavette and Pichana. Both were excellent. I have beef short ribs in the freezer that I haven't gotten to yet. 

Heads up - they have a tendency to run out of the more interesting cuts. 

I don't currently have any discounts. I get at least 2 emails from them every week. 

• Like 1

So far so good with Porter Road. Half of order arrived fresh, not frozen, including two packs of chicken thighs. Opened them today and surprised to find that they were already very nicely trimmed. Into a marinade with ingredients for Baharat Spiced Chicken overnight, to be cooked tomorrow.

• Like 1

Tonight's beef rib dinner. Their ribs are very nice.

001.thumb.jpg.639ec06991dcb06ce5ea09c39ae75762.jpg

Simple prep - flaked salt, fresh ground black pepper, garlic powder and purple crack!

002.thumb.jpg.565b0893580a929c43166f3ea53a17ea.jpg

4+ hours direct at 250F (with Guru), smoker pot with post oak, mesquite and coffee wood chunks. 

003.thumb.jpg.5bbd937d9d7f8aad55e01592164e4e15.jpg

They would have been fab-u-lous, but I over salted them. Was thinking that they'd be like a brisket - put an abundance of seasonings for the crust, so that the whole bite would balance out. However, beef ribs aren't as meaty as a brisket, so they were a bit overkill. The gravy helped a lot. Plated with roasted carrots, red onion & parsnips and sous vide mashed potatoes (perfect!!)

005.thumb.jpg.0cfd267eb45b4542a66b7b58dcb494cc.jpg

• Like 5

Well, to take it to the next level to match the weather today (cold, rainy & very windy), I took the 2 leftover ribs, cut them up, and used them in a pot of chili! That was a great way to use them up and knock down the extra saltiness. Chili has another 30 minutes on the stove and it's coming along nicely. 

• Like 2