ckreef

How Often Do I Cook Outside?

After the last few posts in the Bruce thread I got wondering - really, how often do I cook outside? 

Only one way to know for sure - let's keep track of it. No pictures for this thread, just - Day, Date - what I cooked - what grill I used. I'll update this first post every couple of days. I'll keep this going for maybe a month or so or until I get tired of doing it - LOL - check back often. 

P. S. If Mrs skreef cooks outside instead of me I'm going to count that - she cooks every once in a while. 

Fri, 9/20 - salmon - 19" KK, direct using Grill Grates 

Sat, 9/21 - chicken halves - Nuke Delta 

Sun, 9/22 - meatloaf Wellington - 19" KK - Mrs skreef, Guru meatloaf challenge 

Mon, 9/23 - Bisquick Chicken Pot Pie - 19" KK - used leftover grilled chicken from the Nuke Delta grill. 

Tue, 9/24 - :(

Wed, 9/25 - grilled thighs - 16" KK w/ Grill Grates - corn risotto - outdoor side burner

Thu, 9/26 - pork tenderloin medallions and a cabbage steak - Blackstone griddle 

Fri, 9/27  -  :(

Sat, 9/28 - swordfish steaks and crab cakes - 19" KK 

Sun, 9/29 - grilled pineapple - 16" KK w/ grill grates - mushroom risotto - outdoor side burner 

Mon, 9/30 - boneless skinless turkey breasts - 19" KK semi indirect on KK grates 

Tue, 10/01 - hamburgers - 16" KK w/ grill grates 

Wed, 10/02 - :(

Thu, 10/03 - Bronx Bombers and bread sticks - 19" KK indirect on upper grate. 

Fri, 10/04 - Cobia and crab stuffed U5 Shrimp - 19" KK 

Sat, 10/05 - :(

Sun, 10/06 - Pan Pizza and Ranier Cherry Crumble - Wood Fired Oven 

Mon, 10/07 - meatloaf and green bean Caserole - 19" KK indirect, upper grate @ 400*

Tue, 10/08 - 1/2 chicken - 19" KK 

Wed, 10/09 - Hamburgers - 16" KK w/ Grill Grates 

Thu, 10/10 - marinated pork tenderloin scraps - Blackstone Griddle 

Fri, 10/13 - :(

Sat, 10/12 - Supreme Pan Pizza - WFO - lamb loin chops and crab cakes - 19" KK 

Sun, 10/13 - Brunswick Stew - 19" KK 

Mon, 10/14 - Mac & Cheese and chicken legs - 19" KK 

Tue, 10/14 - Brunswick Pot Pie - 19" KK 

Wed, 10/15 - :(

Thu, 10/16 -  :(

Fri, 10/17 - smash burgers - Blackstone Griddle 

Sat, 10/18 - :(

Sun, 10/19 - Flat Iron Steak - Nuke Delta 

Mon, 10/20 - Pulled Pork Mac & Cheese - 19" KK 

Edited by ckreef
  • Like 6

Like you Ckreef I have a number of cookers {toys} in the backyard and find them fun to use. The house oven makes great potatoa tots and Ore Ida fries. I've never looked at plotting my use but maybe I should take a look at how many times I fill my 40 gallon bin with lump. I do believe you'll interestingly will find you spend many hours at those cookers as indeed you should.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bruce Pearson said:

We should ask you Charles do you ever cook inside? Instead of listing the Outside Cook’s you should list all the cooks from inside I bet the inside list will be a lot shorter LOL

It would probably be shorter but definitely not as fun/interesting. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Funny I just fixed my oven after 6 odd months had a power out that killed the clock on it with out the clock the oven does not operate but the grill does .where was I cooking .Ora and the Jr.
Goes to show you don't need the oven but Dee wanted it fixed .cost me $200 rip off for the part lucky I saved on labour it was me lol

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

There you go that's basically a month of cooking. Here's my observations looking back at it:

I average cooking outside about 5 nights a week. 

Week day or weekend has nothing to do with cooking outside. 

Usually I cook the protein outside and Mrs skreef cooks some component of the meal inside. 

Mostly it's just everyday meals. 

Very few meals worth taking a picture of or I've posted a similar meal in the past. 

I use the KK's more often than I thought I did. This has a lot to do with firing it up using my CyberQ controller. I can come home from work, load up with lump, fire it up with the CyberQ, and set my target temperature. An hour or so later it's ready to go at my target temperature without any further intervention. Set it and forget it. Makes using the 19" KK super easy on a week night. 

Anyway this little experiment is over. Hope you had fun for those paying attention. 

• Like 5

On 10/8/2019 at 6:32 AM, Aussie Ora said:

Funny I just fixed my oven after 6 odd months had a power out that killed the clock on it with out the clock the oven does not operate but the grill does .where was I cooking .Ora and the Jr.
Goes to show you don't need the oven but Dee wanted it fixed .cost me $200 rip off for the part lucky I saved on labour it was me lol

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk

Well at least you hung in there for 6 months, $200??? was it a Rolex? Imagine if the tech installed it. You know how many Beef Ribs that aren't going to see Ora,,,oh the humanity!

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Tyrus said:

Ckreef you know that looks like a menu almost. Some nice choices in there

Yea I guess you're right. After going back and reading the entries there was some good ones in there. Also other parts of the meals cooked inside were not listed. 

The entire time we never went out to eat dinner. The sad faces were either reheated leftovers or the meal was so simple nothing would have been gained by cooking it outside. 

Anyway it was sort of fun keeping track of it all. 

• Like 1