Tyrus

55 lb pig

Always wanted to cook a pig this size but, trouble is getting enough people around to eat it is the problem. The stars were aligned and that was accomplished today when 45 people came with appetites . I did manage two pics of the pig in it's case on the offset most other times my hands were busy and greasy. Looking back I can only say, don't be intimidated by size, in the end it was just a long cook and wasn't difficult. On a KK 32 or 42 cooking a pig is like an autonomous car, the road is clear, on the offset the challenge is constant.  But do go for it, it's rewarding. Shout out to Eddie Mac..thanks

DSCF2699.JPG

DSCF2701.JPG

• Like 8
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, tekobo said:

Wow, that looks gorgeous! Well worth the anticipation and effort methinks.  

Yes. It was! You should know because you enjoy entertaining and always set a nice plate. Started at 2 a.m. with coffee and on the offset at 3 a. m. at 250-75. Slowed the process down to 225 when the temp was rising to fast in the shoulder to come off in planned time for guests.  Off around noon. As hosts I feel effort is overlooked by us because we endeavor to do all we can to make it a pleasurable time for our guests. Did I mention that it was injected, inspected and never neglected and tasted so good however the future methinks keeping the cook to around 20 lbs. Check mark on the bucket list

• Like 2

1 hour ago, tekobo said:

Cooking a whole pig certainly warrants a check mark on your bucket list.  What else is on there, food wise?

10lbs wings, lg tray Jack Daniel Beans, 2 Racks of ribs with Memphis dust and sauced, 2 trays of Mac and cheese, Broccoli slaw and salad, Potato salad, Pineapple and Fruit Salad, APPS....Olives and mozzerrella, Charcuterie board, Taco dip, 5lbs schrimp and at least 10 desserts were to many to list.  Endless beer and wine and thats what I remember off hand

• Like 3

That sounds like a lot of food and a lot of work.  I hope you found time to enjoy yourself!  

I actually wanted to know if you have anything else on your bucket list but my question was, obviously, not clear.  Having cooked a 55lb pig do you have any other ambitions for your KK or Traegar over and above the baseline of eating good food from them whenever we can?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, tekobo said:

That sounds like a lot of food and a lot of work.  I hope you found time to enjoy yourself!  

I actually wanted to know if you have anything else on your bucket list but my question was, obviously, not clear.  Having cooked a 55lb pig do you have any other ambitions for your KK or Traegar over and above the baseline of eating good food from them whenever we can?

Oh, sorry. Read it too fast. Yah I do and possibly you would do it first before me since the new grill of yours is perfect for it. However, I may have to travel or call around and find a farmer for the piece of meat which is a "whole shoulder clod". This piece is approx 40lbs and was cooked by Steve Raichlen on an Argentinian grill. I haven't found the meat, although I have inquired and alas, I don't have the grill. But I do have a 30in x 30in refractory lined fire pit that I could rig a level of grates to and finish that cook. So that may be next. I guess a bucket list is something you think of as dreams yet achieved, maybe something beyond reach but you know you can get there with ambition and motivation. Just looking to improve Tekebo, stay on course and once in a while stumble off the path and venture into the wild. 

• Like 2

Hey @Tyrus, certainly no need to apologise.  It was good to see just how much food you managed to push out for your guests.  Sounded great.

I looked up the video of Steve Raichlen cooking a whole shoulder clod and it looks like he was cooking on something similar to a Traegar.  I think that sounds like a really interesting cook and I am looking forward to seeing you try it, I am pretty sure your grill is ideal for that cook.  

You have reminded me that I am almost completely out of Dairy cow.  I have one thick steak that I am saving for the inauguration of the Argentinian grill.  I must chase my supplier as my "bucket list" purchase is a hind quarter of cow and he has not updated me in weeks.  Other people must have discovered how good that meat is and he is busy keeping them happy.  Harumph.  

• Like 1