Aussie Ora

New Kalamazoo Kamado

4 hours ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I don't want to sound judgemental but do they sound a little confused here with where to cook what?
"Place the grate in the lowest position for a gentle heat, ideal for smoking “low-and-slow” barbeque," 
LOL

kalamazooKamado.jpg

But I always intensely sear my steaks as far away from the charcoal as possible. Been trying to figure out why I never get sear marks! 

It's pretty unforgivable to not have those basics right when you're selling a product at this price point.

Yup, @Braai-Q is fully responsible for me going with Ox Grills and not Solus Grills which was The Husband's original choice.  I am so pleased he intervened.  We are still at least two weeks away from being able to use the grill with garden renovations only starting next week if we are lucky.  

Speaking of searing in the KK:  I cooked baby octopus, pork tenderloin and lamb rump directly on birch charcoal from Oxford Charcoal.  I really like this cooking method.  Photo of the in-KK cook is not great but just look at the results. fullsizeoutput_11a2.thumb.jpeg.11567da6de5b4a34fb28ac635a584cd8.jpeg

fullsizeoutput_11a3.thumb.jpeg.60b63beec9a3c74497c4b20521ed6a35.jpeg

• Like 6

Took a couple of reads and looking at the pictures but think I get it now. Unlike traditional Kamados where the firebox is stationary and you adjust by moving the food, this one has one cooking level and different fire grate positions. With one cooking level, putting the fire grate at the lowest level creates the most distance from the food. Doesn’t seem it would have as much control or be as versatile as a KK where you can use multiple positions during the same cook. Reverse sear would certainly be an interesting endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

On 9/29/2019 at 9:57 PM, DJM said:

Took a couple of reads and looking at the pictures but think I get it now. Unlike traditional Kamados where the firebox is stationary and you adjust by moving the food, this one has one cooking level and different fire grate positions. With one cooking level, putting the fire grate at the lowest level creates the most distance from the food. Doesn’t seem it would have as much control or be as versatile as a KK where you can use multiple positions during the same cook. Reverse sear would certainly be an interesting endeavor.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DJM, you understand it correctly. The cooking grate up top has only one position. The fire grates can be adjusted into three different positions. You can, however, use multiple positions for the fire as part of the same cook. You can also, if you choose to do so, cook food on the fire grates down inside the body of the grill. There are three fire grates included. One "main" fire grate, which is always placed in the lowest position. Two half-width adjustable fire grates can be placed in either of the two higher positions. They can be placed side-by-side on one level to fill it; or they can each be on a different level. These adjustable grates are also used to hold a water pan or cordierite diffuser if you like. The fire grates are cut from 1/4-inch stainless steel plate (same as the cooking grates).

I hope this information is helpful.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's very hard to imagine that price for a Kamado that is much smaller than a 32, doesn't have rotisserie, and I don't see a pizza stone there either. It's biggest claim is that the shape promotes "offset" fires -- bad wording invoking images of an offset smoker. Should say "two-zone", but a 32 with a basket splitter does that and more. Heck, a Kamado Joe with Divide and Conquer will give you that much AND rotisserie option AND pizza stone AND...a MUCH lower price. Unless there's more than meets the eye, you are paying for the Kalamazoo label, not the grill.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Longhorn203 said:

I long thought the Kalamazoo Hybrid was my dream conventional/gas grill. But after seeing the prices of their vertical smoker and now their "Kamado", I'm convinced they are simply in the business of fleecing consumers. Went with Alfresco for my gas grill.

The price of a Kalamazoo is directly related to the cost of building it (materials, components and labor). As head of product, my primary mission is to ensure our grills are the absolute best, and that means not cutting corners in engineering or production. I never tell anyone "you should buy a Kalamazoo." I only tell people if I could afford any grill I wanted, I would choose the Kalamazoo. The pricing makes them unattainable for most people, including myself, I will stand behind the design and the quality without hesitation. 

I think the Alfresco is truly a good grill. I am sure you'll get many years of enjoyment from it. The same is true of the Komodo Kamado. I have nothing but respect for these products.

1 hour ago, Russ said:

The price of a Kalamazoo is directly related to the cost of building it (materials, components and labor). As head of product, my primary mission is to ensure our grills are the absolute best, and that means not cutting corners in engineering or production. I never tell anyone "you should buy a Kalamazoo." I only tell people if I could afford any grill I wanted, I would choose the Kalamazoo. The pricing makes them unattainable for most people, including myself, I will stand behind the design and the quality without hesitation. 

I think the Alfresco is truly a good grill. I am sure you'll get many years of enjoyment from it. The same is true of the Komodo Kamado. I have nothing but respect for these products.

I appreciate your response, but after seeing your vertical up close at a design show when getting ready to buy the 750 and now the Kamado I didn't see anything in the engineering, materials or design to warrant a price anywhere near the ask. I could only assume it translates into your heritage products like the 750.

But you have a heck of a brand and, no doubt, a loyal customer following. Assuming you all are staying busy, it's a great business model.

Would buy a KK any day of the week over that lol

yes they sound very confused

wonder why they would try to get into selling kamado's  when there bread and butter is selling hyhrid gas grills and outdoor kitchens

i think they should stick to selling that 25k plus gaucho lol

• Like 1