Tyrus

The 3/8 in. wrench

Had to look up what grill floss was Toney, looked like a 3/8 in. wrench for $16.99. lol  I saw that wrench in the shed sitting in a draw some years ago and said one day I'm gonna put a handle on this and sit it by the KK. Well, I don't think I'll get an invite to "forged in fire" anytime soon but maybe, just maybe it might lead to a new line of custom wrenches like Bruce picked up on. This is what happens when you got time on your hands........and for my next invention,,,well, you'll just have to wait.

• Haha 3

I'm waiting for a Jessum router table that cost a fair fraction of what I paid for my KK.

If the other end is closed, I can imagine a captive nut to help hold everything in place.

Or, place an order at Ponoko to form fit the wrench, and fit that into a nice wood handle, with appropriate glue.

In any case, making a few of these is clearly in my future.

• Like 2

12 hours ago, Syzygies said:

I'm waiting for a Jessum router table that cost a fair fraction of what I paid for my KK.

If the other end is closed, I can imagine a captive nut to help hold everything in place.

Or, place an order at Ponoko to form fit the wrench, and fit that into a nice wood handle, with appropriate glue.

In any case, making a few of these is clearly in my future.

A 2 hour endeavor. Ground off the closed end, cut 2 pieces of mahogany, used straight bit on router table and cut tight channel approx 2 in deep for wrench shaft, glued together with Gorilla Glue, inserted shaft with same glue, used a 50 grit tiny drum on my electric drill held in my vise to fashion a shape, sanded and oiled. Thought of making a mold to pour plastic and form the handle and insert the shaft without glue but , I chose the short cut method. A simple prototype. I certainly would like to see yours once you receive the JessEm table, that is one nice tool

Edited by Tyrus
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Tyrus said:

Ground off the closed end

Of course, makes the routing easy. Though I'm enamored with Forstner drill bits, just as quick to make room for the closed end.

Or, it's not a bug it's a feature! Expose the box end hole as a way to hang the tool.

I never noticed, but handle blanks are their own market, just like pen turning blanks. Rockler sells bookmatched pairs of nice woods for this:

Figured Walnut Knife Scales

My two favorite "upload your design" fabrication sites are Ponoko.com (for laser cutting many materials including wood) and Drawer.com (for custom boxes in many woods). One could order laser-cut handle layers and glue them up without a shop. Commercial woodworkers don't bother with drawers anymore if they can just order them.  Our Atlas 150 Pasta Machine and accessories sit in a cherry box I ordered.

Of course, router tables are an excuse to make jigs. I can see making a handle jig designed for the Rockler handle blanks.

So what's the nicest source of wrenches? Yours has the right shape to fit the grill; not all do. eBay has plenty of vintage Craftsman wrenches, for example.

Edited by Syzygies
  • Like 2

On 9/30/2019 at 9:13 AM, Tyrus said:

A 2 hour endeavor.

A 30 second endeavor: click on Amazon, click on Grill Floss, click on "Buy Now".  Having said that, I am the worlds biggest fan of "a project". This one has an angle on it, and you can fashion it to the purpose...https://www.amazon.com/Lisle-10900-Brake-Bleeder-Wrench/dp/B000CO87ZE/ref=sr_1_1?dchild=1&keywords=3%2F8%2Bbrake%2Bwrench%2Bangled&qid=1588276719&sr=8-1&th=1

Grill floss will probably do the job but, I like my Excalibur.  I see the possibilities,,yes, unfortunately I'm chock full of projects up to my chiny,chinchin at the moment. I recently purchased a brush on amazon that leaves no bristle behind on your grill. I haven't tested it yet sorry to say, I believe it has potential.  It's called the Kona Safe/Clean Grill Brush, for standard grates as we have on our KK's, a sturdy unit at first glance and it has some direction you have to follow for optimum results. Well, thanks for the comment Doc, I figure if your going to think big start off with something small. That's my story and I'm stickin to it.