Basher

First Cook Spit Roast Lamb Leg

Outside of warming a large bowl of offal for the dog and the chicken thighs, and a couple of turkey legs while it was hot during the burn in, This is my first purpose cook.

IMG_2431.thumb.JPG.1481e520d0b473329fa326803cf464b5.JPG

This lamb was grown by a friend 4 hours west of where we live.

Scored, then rubbed with salt, garlic, coffee, cumin, chilli, purple crack, and some dried herbs.

IMG_2437.thumb.JPG.25768b9804452a6bce33012fffe3381e.JPG

Started a full basket of charcoal laced with cherry chips.

Haven't quite got my temps right and nudged it up to 400f before pulling it back to 350f.

I don't have the Meater yet so flying a little blind on internal temps too, I'll judge it by the pull back from the bone.

IMG_2444.thumb.JPG.f6e1599dd4ff384a25a9c87fc33bd564.JPG

This is getting close.

IMG_2449.thumb.JPG.209bd3b7b0d91ea6e87f12e15bccd50e.JPG

Perfect size in the 23"

IMG_2445.thumb.JPG.35b0dafd999d622b1a4d4290c8a78674.JPG

• Like 5

Sensational tekabo. The spit came together easy enough cos I’ve been watching everyone here do it for years.

One little issue, through the cook the walls or the rod must have expanded. Despite setting the rod length right before loading up, there was not enough spring movement to take it off. I had to play with pliers to shorten the rod slightly while the lamb started dripping into the fire. It took about a minute to adjust. Glad it wasn’t any longer.

Flavours were great, fluked the internal temp.

Just a hint of smoke

bea4c674eda1ee4d6ac22b7995b30d3e.jpg053187013627173fe726d08d4f5d3287.jpg

The lamb was Dorpa crossed with Meatmaster- both South African breeds that are becoming popular amongst farmers here.

8 months old and very tender.

Lamb is definitely my favourite..... and there is plenty left over for sandwiches.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Basher said:

Despite setting the rod length right before loading up, there was not enough spring movement to take it off. I had to play with pliers to shorten the rod slightly while the lamb started dripping into the fire. It took about a minute to adjust. Glad it wasn’t any longer.

Funny, but I had a similar thing happen tonight during my spun chook cook. The pointed end piece (I leave it on) unscrewed a bit during the cook, so the assembly wouldn't come off easily. Had to run grab a pair of pliers to screw it back on enough to get the chook off. It's always something on many cooks - gotta stay on your toes (and limit the adult beverages - a bit!) 

• Like 1

Tony b my roti motor rotates each way by just switching on and off. I had made sure it rolled in the direction so the tip screw would tighten rather than loosen. I was worried It might drop in the fire and burn before I realised.
I can only think there was minor wall expansion. It only takes about 2mm to stop it.
How good are those spear tips?
Screw it in, Slides through the meat, then I changed it back to the roundish tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You must have an AC/DC motor,  hah just kiddin,,,an Australian joke. Funny you mention that condition, while your making the adjustments the grill coals are firing up and your like one of the Three Stooges working like a mad man trying to get it off. Don't worry about it, it happens to best of us. Love lamb and that one looks exceptional. You inspired me to break mine out for tonite, will cook for me and the dogs since the wife left for Germany with her sister to cruise the Rhine. Just me and the dogs, my trusty KK and Monday night football...ain't so bad.

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

13 hours ago, Basher said:

Tony b my roti motor rotates each way by just switching on and off.

Never seen that before. But you guys down under get different motors than us folks here in the States. 

I swapped the direction of my motor a long time ago (there's instructions on how to do this here in the Forum), so the main part of the rod wouldn't unscrew. I've also tried to use LokTite on most of the connections so they don't come apart. Not sure what happened this time, but I'm going to apply some more LokTite to it, just make sure!

• Like 1

Had these for years

Never seen that before. But you guys down under get different motors than us folks here in the States. 
I swapped the direction of my motor a long time ago (there's instructions on how to do this here in the Forum), so the main part of the rod wouldn't unscrew. I've also tried to use LokTite on most of the connections so they don't come apart. Not sure what happened this time, but I'm going to apply some more LokTite to it, just make sure!
Had reverse polarity motors down here for yonks I've had no issue like some have with the spit rods but I reckon new or old hook the rod up and move it left to right ,right to left a few times to loosen up the inner spring

Sent from my SM-T835 using Tapatalk