Pequod

Help! Hurricane Destroyed Grill!

No, not my KK. On vacation down in OBX weeks after Hurricane Dorian swept through. All’s well other than some interesting land features left behind...

058F29E6-39DC-4DE1-9FC3-E6EB6BFEB04B.thumb.jpeg.4773b2d8d26501fc84c0f390c81473bd.jpeg

...and that the grill at our rental was destroyed. So...we brought a load of meat to grill, but are without said grill. I DID bring my Grill Grates, which I usually put on the surface of the nasty, uncleaned grill at our rental. I had planned a Grilled menu of and brought all the fixings for:

• Sliders
  • Maple Sriracha Drumsticks
  • Pork tenderloins as Greek Souflima

Need to call an audible and learn how to use a kitchen. One thought...put the grill grates in the oven, put a drip pan on rack below. Use the broiler as needed for “char”. Other ideas?

I leave you with sunset.

971D4190-76CF-4C15-9CE6-99B1959ED0AE.thumb.jpeg.aee97c600eb14e9d88b864f14c42a03b.jpeg

• Sad 1

Just now, ckreef said:

Go buy a cheap crappy grill and bag of RO from Walmart. Leave it for the next guy. I used to be the king of cheap crappy grills from Walmart. Easy score this setup for a good bit under $100.

No Walmart on Hatteras Island, but did spy a Smokey Joe at Ace Hardware.

1 hour ago, ckreef said:

That would definitely work. Even a Dollar General should have a small Weber clone. We'll be waiting to see you master the cheap crappy grill B)

Either that or this is an excuse to call on Amazon and buy a nice fire pit thing that you can cook over AND keep for starting binchotan fires.  We look forward to seeing your results.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Well that ended up being a bit more adventure than our usual. Had some midweek weather, then the water started rising. Higher, higher.... Apparently caused by Sub-tropical storm Melissa, hundreds of miles away in the Northeast. Friday we meandered over to the ocean side of the island, and the ocean was doing this:

MVIMG_20191011_110647-EFFECTS.thumb.jpg.71fdeec5a3239f785103a69ea1e6422d.jpg

And driving through this:

MVIMG_20191012_132218.thumb.jpg.1024efda4c61de778710f8dc79c1c2f4.jpg

Then we noticed that Highway 12 -- the only route on or off the island, was closed due to ocean overwash and breached dunes making it impassable. Uh oh!

We decided to try to leave Hatteras Island that night if the road opened. It didn't. This was us sitting in the line waiting for the road to open. Never did that night.

IMG_20191011_153934.thumb.jpg.32b031a4238a49fc96e0a29d0204a721.jpg

We were supposed to checkout by 10 AM yesterday, but the road was still closed. Crikey! We monitored news reports all day and decided to play the odds late yesterday afternoon, or risk being stranded until Monday. Finally, they opened the road at 6 PM, and we snaked past the breach and deep water around 7:00, just 60 minutes before high tide. Off the island around 8, then the breach reopened and briefly closed the road again at 9. Whew! Always a great adventure at OBX!

• Like 3

That’s what we were saying. If a secondary effect from a subtropical storm hundreds of miles away can do that much, imagine a full blown hurricane. Still lots of damage from Dorian down there, so for the residents I’m sure this was nothing. We’ve had a lot of adventures on the Outer Banks, but this was definitely a new one.

• Like 1