jdbower

Big Bob Gibson's BBQ Book by Chris Lilly

I’ve finally gotten the excuse to obtain and read Chris Lilly’s “Big Bob Gibson’s BBQ Book†and, while it’s been mentioned here a few times before, I thought I’d write a more formal review.

It’s a fantastic read and is really a bunch of books in one. Of course there are copious numbers of recipes listed ranging from the loaf pan chicken mentioned on the Today Show that even a novice can cook to several methods of cooking a whole pig where the “serves 70†label makes it unlikely I’ll need to follow the directions anytime soon. And lest you think the recipes are limited to the proper preparation of tasty dead animals, there are also several sides, sauces (including Big Bob’s famous white sauce), and desserts listed as well. And most of the recipes have mouth-watering pictures associated with them, including preparation shots for the more complex procedures.

But this is far from a simple list of ingredients, temperatures, and times. Chris describes not only the technique that he recommends but why he’s chosen that technique. This is less a recipe book than it is a description of how to make your own creations with sample recipes to get you going. For example, he breaks down dry rubs into four primary components and then proceeds to list the components, describe how they affect the outcome, and make suggestions as to which flavors complement which meats. Just about all the popular cuts (and several more esoteric ones) are mentioned with directions on how to prepare them, smokewoods are described in depth, comparison charts for regional cuisine help guide more authentic choices, and an index lets you look up everything in an instant. Be sure to keep an eye out for his pitmaster’s tips – they’re very insightful and well-placed.

Finally, Chris also takes us through a history of BBQ throughout the book. While focusing on using his first-hand knowledge to preserve the heritage of Big Bog’s establishment as well as Big Bob himself, he also describes the evolution of BBQ in the various regions and what’s he’s learned from his travels around the country and the world. His description of BBQ goes beyond the simple time and temperature definition and encompasses not just cooking meat but also a genre of sides and desserts that fit well with the main course. A little story in front of most recipes gives them a life of their own – I won’t be able to try his coal-fired sweet potatoes without thinking of Chris’ father-in-law and smoldering meteorites which will make them that much more tasty.

And, of course, there’s a shot of one of our beloved KKs on page 99 as well as a few grates that look suspiciously like familiar 3/8†high grade stainless steel that alone make the book worth buying. After reading the book cover to cover I’ve walked away with a lot more than a list of “must-try†recipes, but a great reference book for all things BBQ. And since I timed things such that I read it whilst on a family vacation I got to gross out my sisters with the pictures of the whole pigs impaled on a spit!

ISBN: 978-0307408112