porkbutt

New KK and first Cook

I got the phone call from the shipping company about 11:30 am that they were minutes from my house. Time to pack up work and head home for the uncrating ceremony.

10 boxes of coconut charcoal were packed on top of the crate.

IMG_8651.jpg

Here's what 10 boxes of Coconut Charcoal looks like (on the right with smoking chunks and thermometer)

IMG_8653.jpg

After wife and I removed the top of the crate Little Joe was ready to be unwrapped and moved to his new home.

IMG_8655.jpg

Unwrapped, unpacked and at home. Ready for the venting process...

IMG_8658.jpg

At 2:00 I filled up the basket with some B&B Oak Lump and lit the fire. The K quickly rose to about 500 deg and with a little tinkering with the vents I was able to get settled between 480 and 510 degrees for the next 2 hours. At about 4:00 I began easing the vents open little by little and was able to maintain a steady temp increase of about 50 degrees every 30 minutes. I spent this time unpacking the beautiful teak work station Dennis built and breaking down the crates. I also ran out to the local butcherand he recommended some nice filets for dinner.

IMG_8663.jpg

When the K hit 700 degrees I put the filets on the searing grill for about 2.5 minutes on each side. I then closed the vents and let the filets dwell for another 5 minutes before taking them.

IMG_8667.jpg

IMG_8666.jpg

After removing the steaks I opened up the vents and brought the grill to about 750 degrees and let it go until it burned out. There was very little venting and I didn't have any tile displacement .

Unfortunately, the wife made dinner reservations with friends for tonight but I'm thinking Saturday night is Pizza Night!

Re: New KK and first Cook

Awesome, congrats on the KK!! I got mine yesterday as well. I have had a pork butt in mine since 10:00 pm last night.

Phoenix-20120518-00508.jpg

Btw, my grill didn't come with a manual and I have not heard about the venting process. I have mine hovering at 225 since late last night. What is the proper procedure. Hopefully it wasn't wrong to keep it low for my first cook.