Hector

Pork Belly on the Komodo

I bought some Pork Belly from Costco last week. I've not tried to cook this on a BBQ before, so this was my first attempt.

The night before I poured boiling water over the skin/fat side and left it overnight in the fridge to air dry.

yduburus.jpg

a2u7ynaj.jpg

I rubbed one side with a commercial rub and the other with my home grown pork rub.

zyhy9a9a.jpg

On the left is my rub, on the right is the commercial rub, SM Spicy apple

ydyqyqe2.jpg

I used some cherry chips to smoke the belly at 180f for a couple of hours, before cranking it up, to 400f to finish. The kamado was set up to cook on one side only and a put a foil container, with water under the pork belly. This was to capture the dripping fat, without burning it and stinking out the kamado.

7ajumuzu.jpg

a8yjehus.jpg

heba5yse.jpg

The skin was crisp in places but not everywhere. I think this was because of the rubs.

be9une6a.jpg

a9y5yzyj.jpg

We served the belly with garlic, oyster, soy Pak Choy, bloody amazing :-) The other half normally doesn't like pork belly but loved this. My rub was up there with the commercial rub, in fact in this application we thought mine was better, although both were great.

• Like 1