jimbo1102

got the stoker

I installed the Stoker today, it was much easier than I had anticipated to remove the plug. Essentially a couple taps with a screwdriver took out the grout, then pushing out the plug was effortless. I am experimenting with setting temperature using the stoker. no food in there for now. Thus far it seems fairly straight forward. My only question would be how to set the KK now. Previously I adjusted the top and bottom vents to adjust the temp, I assume I leave the bottom vent closed now but what about the top? I have it open about 2 turns and it seems to be holding at my desired temp of 220.

Anybody here with any suggestions on this?

Re: got the stoker

I installed the Stoker today, it was much easier than I had anticipated to remove the plug. Essentially a couple taps with a screwdriver took out the grout, then pushing out the plug was effortless. I am experimenting with setting temperature using the stoker. no food in there for now. Thus far it seems fairly straight forward. My only question would be how to set the KK now. Previously I adjusted the top and bottom vents to adjust the temp, I assume I leave the bottom vent closed now but what about the top? I have it open about 2 turns and it seems to be holding at my desired temp of 220.

Anybody here with any suggestions on this?

Two turns on the top damper is probably too much for 220 with or without the Stoker. For normal non-Stoker control, the bottom should be a small slit and the top about 1/4 open. For using the Stoker or Guru, the bottom should be closed and the top just barely cracked. You want the temp control device to do the work of keeping the fire going and not so natural draft. That setup will work pretty well for most temps, but you might have to crack it a little more as you go up in temps.

Check out the KK411 section. There is a lot of useful tips in there. Even though one thread is Guru hints and tips, a lot of the same principals apply.

-=Jasen=-