jdbower

Perfect dry martini

1 large bottle of super premium vodka or gin

Bucket of ice

Salt

Picture of Antonio Benedetto Carpano

Add salt to the bucket of ice to reduce the temperature. Put the bottle of alcohol into bucket of ice and cover with the picture of Carpano to keep it cool. Taste test regularly to check alcohol temperature. Estimate two liters of alcohol per guest per hour, unless DJ is coming in which case you may want to up the quantities.

Perfect Martini

A glass of gin or vodka is not a martini.

A good vermouth adds character and can help remove some of the rough edges from gin.

personally I like 5-6 parts Tanqueray to 1 part Noily Prattt. And stirring with ice adds just a tiny bit of water which can smooth some the the alcohol edge.

Try experimenting with brands of gin and the amount of vermouth until you reach your own perfect martini.

Jeff

There are a zillion martini jokes, and this one is to the point.

Guy goes into a bar, tells the bartender "I'd like an extra, extra, extra, extra dry martini please!"

Bartender gives him the evil eye, and says "Look, pal --- I don't want to hear this 'extra, extra, read all about it' crap! You just tell me exactly how to make it, and I'll do it".

Guy says, "OK, that's what I wanted to hear. So put some gin and ice in that large glass, stir it up until it's good and cold, and pour it into a chilled martini glass."

Barkeep follows the directions, & says "That's it? That was sure easy."

Guy says "Wait, you're not done yet! Now hold the glass up to your lips and just WHISPER 'vermouth!"

Bartender rolls his eyes, does what he's told, offers the martini to the customer, who carefully takes a sip.

Barkeep says sarcastically "Well, is that dry enough for ya, pal?"

Guy sniffs, says with a sneer --- " Loudmouth"

:smt043