paul1927

THE CARNIVORE by Nathan Moore, 07/07 issue Popular Mechanics

page 96 . . .

Is a half page article about a BBQ designed to cook 16 hours unattended. The cost to build is $4,000. I was thinking the Q with lots of diagrams and explanations would make an even more interesting article or better yet a series. The series would focus on building a rough homemade Q (I assume it would be more expensive, but that is not the point). The point is generating interest on the geek and handyman povs.

Getting quickly off topic from this thread. The thermometer issue and even other minor issues can drive me to grill tempature real quick, usually. Probably the reason this didn't happen with Dennis is that when I saw the Q it was like WOW!!! :) It was a hell of a lot more than I expected--this forum wasn't around then or was just getting started so my expectations were fairly low--and worse my expectations are usually confirmed. I bought a copper Turkish grill and when I received it I was thinking these crooks have to be kidding. It was a total rip off and I felt my hard earned money has literally been stolen from me. When receiving the Q, I felt that I was getting a true steal and thought how can he do this? (My price was discounted on Ebay.)

Mind you not only was there no thermometer the Q had significant damage due to shipping, and the shipping company had a poor attitude--real poor. I'm looking at the damage thinking there is NO WAY NO HOW that Dennis is going to take responsibility. He'll blame it on the shipping company or the U.S. government (justifiable almost always) or even me! He did just the opposite! :) My father was like what is wrong with this man? It doesn't make any sense at all. It didn't make any sense and more surprising is that he later informed me of problems that he believed would occur in the future and not to worry he would stand 100% behind his product. He did. Considering the costs involved to him it just seems wacko!

BTW, I believe the same shipping company that brutalized the Q and had a real poor attitude is the same company that attacked my extruded coconut order. Boxes crushed, strewn everywhere, soaken, ripped, opened, etc. I asked the man in charge (first time I met him or even been to the shipping facility) what happened and he just laughed like it was a big joke. :( At least he was relaxed and non-aggressive.

PS Usually, I'm concerned about being rude or too aggressive or losing my temper. The people that I grew with weren't offended easily and they were tough. Other people seem to be exceedingly sensitive to my eyes. I very strongly prefer the in your face aggressive people that I grew up with because they focused on the individual i.e. anti-government and possessed a strong sense of honor and chivalry. Having said that I just didn't see the rudeness of the customer who was complaining until it was labelled. I went back and read it a few times and thought damn I need to be careful o my words because really I'm from the wrong side of the tracks and don't mean to be too harsh or rude or insulting. I might even see it in a beneficial light!