GSWHoops

Tritip and Pepper Cream sauce

One of my favorite things to make is a steak with a pepper cream sauce. But I always make it in a pan on the stovetop. I wanted to be able to use my KK to make it, so I decided to try it with a larger piece of meat. That way I could sear it on the stovetop and still be able to save all of the good bits in the pan and then finish cooking it in the KK. Here's what I did.

I got a 2 pack of tritips from Costco. I got the cooker heated up to 350 degrees with a heat deflector and a drip pan in it.

I usually marinade tritip, but wasn't sure what to use, so I went with this:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/food/recipes ... 88,00.html

I don't know if it made a difference or not.

I ground up a whole bunch of peppercorns. Probably 5 or 6 tablespoons I guess. Then I covered the tritip with them.

I put some olive oil (4 tablespoons maybe?) and a couple of tablespoons of butter in a big hot pan. Then I put the tritip in and seared it for a couple of minutes on each side. Then I put the tritip into the cooker.

I added 1 1/4 cup of beef broth to the pan and used a whisk to deglaze. Then I let it reduce for about 5 or 6 minutes. I added 1 1/4 cups of heavy cream to this. (If I had some cognac, I probably would've added a few tablespoons, but I didn't have any). I kept whisking for another 5 or 6 minutes until the sauce coats the back of a spoon.

I had one problem when I made the sauce. Usually, I make the sauce right when I take the steak out of the pan. I did this with the tritip out of habit. Well, the problem was that my sauce was done and I realized that I still had another 30 minutes of cooking time left with the steak. But then I remember seeing Alton Brown stick his sauces in a thermos. Fortunately, we had a small one in the house that just barely held all of the sauce. So the sauce was still perfect when the tritip was done.

The group I had over to eat was not a medium-rare group. So I took the tritip out when the thick part was 135 degrees (about 40 minutes in the cooker). I let it rest for a while and then sliced it up. Each person got several nice big slices with the pepper sauce on the top of it.

It turned out really nice! Definitely one that I'll do again. Sorry no pictures though.