paul1927

Smoked Mullet . . .

When I first purchased the Q there were 2 things I desperately wanted to cook: 1. Ribs 2. Mullet.

Ribs came out better than I could have imagined so I just kept cooking ribs. :) Yes, I cooked chicken and burgers with excellent results as well, but unlike ribs I had always cooked chicken and burgers. The ribs that I cooked pre-Q weren't even really edible. My favorite BBQ joint which was closing wouldn't or couldn't cook good ribs either--it was like eating shoe leather. Bobby Rubinos did sell some mouthwatering ribs which is why I so interested in learning to cook them for my family.

Anyway, I forgot all about the mullet! I grew up in Tampa and tried mullet left and right. Mostly it was disgusting and I love fish. I didn't really consider mullet a fish because it didn't taste good. Didn't seem to matter who was cooking it. It just didn't taste good!

So why did I want to cook a bad tasting fish like mullet on my Q? Well, this really old guy was pushing his smoked mullet on me and wouldn't take NO for an answer. I explained that I had tried mullet over and over and it was truly a bad tasting fish that shouldn't be eaten. The old guy says I know what what you are talking about, but I've been working on mullet recipes a long time and it really is different. These are delicious mullet! I say I have heard that so many times and it is always horrible tasting. Too salty or too smokey or green or just plain bad!!! He says yes, I agree, but I guarantee you will love these mullets. They are really special. I finally give in and warn him that if they taste like garbage that I will tell him so without heistation.

WOW!!! The old guy really knew what he was talking about. Perfect smoke. Perfect salt. Perfect taste. Perfect feel; melted in my mouth. The only negative was that he didn't have many and they went quick! :)

So anyone out there with mullet cooking or eating experience? :)

Hey Paul,

Was looking at the 'General' category today and saw MULLET!? :shock:

First thing I thought was this guy must live around here...guess you grew up in Tampa. Last time I had smoked mullet was at Ted Peter's out on Pasadena Ave. Know where that is? But that was back in High School and since then I have discovered smoked Spanish and King Mackerel, also smoked Cobia. All of which I much prefer to mullet. As I'm typing this I can see a school of them about 20 yrds. from my window. But like you I have always thought (Mullet = :smt078 ). Too fishy for my taste, but I'm guessing you could still get it at Ted's. Place is still there. I take it you no longer live in Tampa?

btw - I make a smoked Kingfish spread that people tell me is as addictive as crack :smt110 I can get you THAT recipe if you'd like.

Hi Bobkat,

Yes, I spent a few years in Tampa. :) I lived in a development called Imperial Point. The only other smoked fish that I can remember enjoying besides that mullet which was the first mullet ever that I'd eaten that didn't taste like (Mullet = :smt078 ) were chubs and some other fish that looked a lot like chubs, but much larger. Yes, I've been gone from Tampa a long time. Most of my life has been in Miami. I LOVE fried kingfish, but it is difficult to imagine any fish spread tasting good. Of course, I couldn't imagine mullet tasting good and I enjoy seafood as much as pork or beef.

I'm thinking that even if I find the mullet it won't taste good. That old man made a very special dish. I didn't think I was tasting anything but mullet with with very light smoke and very light salt. It melted when I ate it because the mullet had all this natural fat that was cooked to perfection. And, it looked beautiful! :)

Is your spread difficult to make? I'm one lazy cook. NOT like grandma at all. Nice to hear you have the same aversion to mullet that I had--use to think a person would need to be starving to eat it!