tlinder

Honey-Glazed Spareribs

In Florida my wife fell in love with honey-glazed ribs. So back home I started research for a nice sauce recipe and found it on homecooking.about.com. Here is my KomodoKamado adapted version of the recipe

INGREDIENTS:

1 cup packed light brown sugar

1-1/2 cups honey

1/4 cup cider vinegar

1/4 cup Worcestershire sauce

4 garlic cloves, crushed and peeled

1 Tablespoon salt

2 teaspoons ground ginger

2 teaspoons Tabasco

6 pounds spareribs

Get rid of the thin skin that goes over the bones of the ribs.

Rub in nice dry rub (I usually take something with paprika, brown sugar, salt, pepper, garlic and onion)

Put the ribs on the grill indirect for aprox. 5.5 hours at 230 degrees Fahrenheit

In a medium, nonreactive saucepan slowly heat brown sugar, honey, vinegar, and Worcestershire sauce until sugar is completely dissolved.

Remove from heat and add garlic, salt, ginger, and Tabasco. Stir until completely combined. Let cool to room temperature.

Baste the ribs with the sauce and let them on the grill for another half hour.

Serve the ribs together with the sauce and enjoy!

ribs.jpg

Nice looking rib cook.

What a delicious looking/sounding rib recipe. Thanks for sharing. From your pic, one can see that you are using a temperature probe. This is something I've never done when doing ribs. Curious as to your opinion of the reliability when it comes to inserting the probe, so close to a bone.

Cheers,

Jeff

Re: Nice looking rib cook.

What a delicious looking/sounding rib recipe. Thanks for sharing. From your pic, one can see that you are using a temperature probe. This is something I've never done when doing ribs. Curious as to your opinion of the reliability when it comes to inserting the probe, so close to a bone.

Cheers,

Jeff

I actually don't check the meat-temp with it. I only use the rib as a fixation for the pit probe of the BBQ Guru.

I live in Florida and I've never had Honey Glazed Ribs. But thanks to your recipe' date=' I see them in my near future. Thanks for posting !!!![/quote']

We had them 3 times in 2 weeks in Bones BBQ on Anna Maria Island. This is a really one of the best places we have found for BBQ:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g34297-d391629-Reviews-Mr_Bones_BBQ-Holmes_Beach_Anna_Maria_Island_Florida.html

BBQ Guru et al...

Haven't decided yet, if I will go the BBQ Guru route. When I had my other brand of ceramic cooker, I found it easy in the beginning to maintain temps. After time, my cooker became un-reliable with temp swings. My old unit was not constructed all that air-tight. From all that Dennis has done, I know this will never be a problem in my forthcoming K.K.---that being said, a Guru of some sort might be added. Guess I should read more K.K. forum posts to see if the consensus is favorable for getting some sort of pit minder device.

Re: BBQ Guru et al...

Guess I should read more K.K. forum posts to see if the consensus is favorable for getting some sort of pit minder device.

Most will say the KK does not need one. But most will also say Guru gives piece of mind for overnight cooks. Probably close to 50/50 KK & Guru/Stoker owners. Personally I love the Procom! Ultimate lazy cooks toy.

-=Jasen=-

Thank you Jasen, for your Guru thoughts. I've seen the pro-com at the Guru web-site, and I've wondered if it would be a huge learning curve to get into the groove of using this device. I'm pretty sure that I read a manual on this unit at their site---and I seem to remember feeling that it was too complicated. But that's just me, being down on myself when it comes to learning new stuff. I'll check it out again, and this time I will really try to understand how these devices work.

Cheers,

Jeff

Thank you Jasen, for your Guru thoughts. I've seen the pro-com at the Guru web-site, and I've wondered if it would be a huge learning curve to get into the groove of using this device. I'm pretty sure that I read a manual on this unit at their site---and I seem to remember feeling that it was too complicated. But that's just me, being down on myself when it comes to learning new stuff. I'll check it out again, and this time I will really try to understand how these devices work.

Cheers,

Jeff

They are quite simple. The folks that have trouble with them are generally trying to over think the process. Basic rule is let the Guru do the work....meaning close off all sources of draft other than the Guru fan (3/4 open on the fan damper works for me) and a tiny amount of top damper for air escape (1/8 or less - just barely off the seat). Then, set it and forget it. I have a Guru hints and tips in the KK411 section. When people have trouble using the Guru, most of the time is due to natural draft coming in and causing the Guru to lose control.

So no curve! Few simple tips and you'll have no issues with powered draft!

-=Jasen=-