Loquitur

Costco Online 1 Day Wagyu Beef Sale

Costco.com has a 4/12/10 one day only while supplies last sale on Wagyu beef - 15 lb prime rib for $299 includes shipping and handling - shipped fresh not frozen. They also have 9.5 oz Wagyu burgers! . Non members can purchase with a surcharge ($8.00 extra for the burgers). I would post the website but I don't know how.

Hi Jeff:

They must have sold it out really fast since that was $140 off Costco's regular price. It was there to purchase early in the AM when I bought the burgers. Looks like they substituted the tenderloin after the prime rib was gone .

Wow - ordered the burgers yesterday AM and they arrived at noon today -vacuumed packed and frozen solid. They're nice - really big and gently compacted, as if I formed them myself. I don't have a Coscto in my vicinity but if this mail order stuff works out, I'll seriously consider joining. I've never seen Wagyu beef at my Sam's Club, locally or mail order.

I've been pleased with Costco's quality. Kirkland Signature (their home brand) seems to be consistently decent and the stuff they sell is often the best bang-for-the-buck model (one step below the top-of-the-line Kitchenaid, for example). I don't know that I'd get a membership just for mail order, but I do go a few towns over for Costco when there's a BJs and a Sams in my own town.

Wagyu Burgers on Sale

Costco online has a sale on the wagyu burgers - 24 9.5 oz burgers for $129.99 which includes shipping plus $6.50 if you are not a member. This is $30 off the price I paid last time I ordered. They arrive frozen in a rectangular shape, separately packed, but they are not tightly compacted like most pre made burgers. Its very easy to gently reform them into a round shape as if you were making them from a package of ground beef. And the KK cooks them perfectly - charry and crispy on the outside and rare and juicy on the inside. They are fantastic!! Get'em while you can.

Susan

Snake River Farms

OK I know I'm late with this one since it's way past the sale date but just out of curiosity I went to Costco online and did a search on Wagyu beef to see what I could find.

I found Burgers for $129, tenderloin for $313.99, and prime rib for $439.99.

If you go to Snake River Farms you can get tenderloin(5 - 6 #) for $269 and prime rib(13 - 15 #) for $359. They also have burgers but I did not price them...

I ordered a Brisket from snake river and it was delivered on time.

Tony

I agree Snake River Farms is a great resource. I ordered a brisket from them and was happy with their product except for the $25.00 shipping charge. I just want to point out that these burgers are really nice for anyone who might be interested. The price includes the shipping, the 9.5 ounce size is super generous and they are easy to work in that they are not tightly compacted - and that's coming from a person who ordinarily would run the other way at the suggestion of a pre-made burger. They have become a favorite in my family and I hope I can order them all year long. Just passing it along for whatever its worth.

Susan

I will need help with this one.......... :) If the whole idea of Wagyu beef is the fat content, hamburger would be the last place I would expect Wagyu to be sold...... I would think that one could grind a very good cut of beef and add as much fat as a Wagyu would have.........or am I missing something here.... ;)

T Rex

It's not just fat content, but the unique flavor of the fat. Traditional Wagyu beef has been tested by a university in Washington or Wisconsin to have an elevated level of omega3 fatty acid...beneficial to us. USDA requires ground beef sold in the US to have not more than 30% fat content,and most Wagyu burgers I have eaten hover near that level. If you were to test the flavor of ground beef from your run of the mill meat market,or even mine, there will be a noticeable distinction in the flavor profile. It's also the cheapest way to experience Wagyu beef!

I know there is a lot of fat in these burgers somewhere but you don't see it the way you see the fat in the Wagyu ribeyes. This ground meat doesn't look any different than ground chuck. I'll post a picture next time I make one. But it feels very different in my hands when I'm forming them. The nearest I can describe it is to say the meat feels soft. And when the burgers are cooked, which for us is just a good sear, they are crispy on the outside and buttery on the inside. They are so tender they melt in your mouth.

My elderly mother loves them too and she is fanatic about fat. She rarely eats red meat, never eats any poultry skin and removes any fat she see can see before cooking other meats. She asks me every time (her memory isn't so good) if there is any fat in the burgers and I tell her yes, that this beef is bred with a high fat content. But she can't taste it. They don't taste fatty - they just taste delicious. Oh, and she eats the WHOLE THING, bun and all!!

To have something onhand in the freezer that is so easy to prepare and that my husband and mother think is really a special treat is delightful!! In case anybody is interested, that sale is still on.

Susan

Thanks.....

T Rex a trip to Costco is not necessary and in fact it's a waste of time.... You need to go to Costco online.....

As for the fat content you need some fat in your burgers or they will just become dry lumps of flavorless meat...

Bring on the beef.. :D

Tony

Thanks tnt

T Rex