Paswesley

You'll Never Guess What is Smoking on my Patio...

Yep, it's here! It arrived around a quarter to four EDT. I was alone, so I tipped the driver to pull it around to the patio and I set to work. I was not about to wait for help to arrive! I had the Kooker exposed on the bare pallet in about one half hour. I then spent about fifteen minutes reasoning through how I could condense a two or three person job to one man. I decided to use the scrap pieces that came from the pallet to construct a ramp. I used strapping tape to hold everything together. Then, I prayed- really. I asked the Lord to give me strength and skill, and I guided the KK off the pallet and onto the patio. It took around five minutes for me to coax the Gen. II over that square wooden box that is directly under the center of the kooker. I could have done it faster, but I was being careful and respecting all that mass. BTW, the lid was not removed. (I did remove all of the inner items.) When the time came to roll down the improvised ramp, it happened so smoothly that I was surprised and relieved. The only snag I hit during the whole set up process was a bit of trouble installing the spring cover. I figured out that ceramic material was in the way. Once this was scraped out of the grooves, I was easily able to turn the wing nuts and complete the install. As I write this, the kooker is at 225 degrees. Over the last three hours, it has varied between 195 and 250, through no fault of its own. I am learning how to keep the temp stable. I intend to let it burn all night. All of the grills are inside, but I am not kooking anything yet. This post got kind of long, but this is a momentous day! BTW, I noticed a couple of spider cracks around a couple of tiles, and the stoker door knob is screwed off track, and is loose. Other than that, it is perfect. I am blown away by the fit, finish, aesthetic appeal, ease of use, and on and on... :D:D:D

Re: You'll Never Guess What is Smoking on my Patio...

As I write this' date=' the kooker is at 225 degrees. Over the last three hours, it has varied between 195 and 250, through no fault of its own. [/quote']

You are doing great! Try to resist opening the top. Temp will go up. After this much time you have your heat sink. Set it and forget it and see what it does for 2-3 hrs. Congrats on your patience. Sure is better than chasing your tail. If by chance she does get away from you Go straight to closing everything down. Give it a good chance to back off the heat then slowly build up again. Keep in mind it is a heat sink.

I think I would have to throw something in there.

Congrats on the new addition. Just wait until you pull something you cooked off of it! If you clamp it down O2 wise, just make sure you burp it by the dampers or cracking the lid to ensure you don't get a flash back when you open the lid. We don't want you to burn up! On your other post, don't worry about the rain and using the grill. I've cooked in a tropical depression and a Nor'Easter. Why? Because I wanted a steak!

Anyhow, start picking out your first cook.

I have put that feed bag on several times! During college days, my roomate(who was 6'8") and myself would eat ramen noodles and scour the campus bars for nickel drafts and save our money to go chow on all you can eat crab legs there. We went to the one in Pungo though. Boy did we do some damage. However, that was a time when the stuff didn't stick to your waist! Capt George's is pretty impressive but I hear the Nordic Lodge in RI has it beat. I might come out of retirement for that one! Now we just go and buy them by the case from my friend who is a food rep and eat them out on my deck along with other seafood and copious amounts of adult beverages. The KK is also quite good at preparing seafood as you will soon find out, in addition to anything else on the planet you can fit on there.

Cheers

Otter

Otter wrote"

.. Capt George's is pretty impressive but I hear the Nordic Lodge in RI has

it beat. I might come out of retirement for that one!

Good idea, Otter, but prepare yourself. My husband and 7 golfing buddies used to stop at the Nordic Lodge en route to an annual golfing weekend in Newport. He couldn't stop talking about how he couldn't even try the raw bars and U-10 shrimp loaded on his plate because of the pile of lobsters in front of him, not to mention the enormous variety of other kinds of food, all very expertly prepared. And, he is a pretty good eater himself though he would call it a day at 5 or 6 lobsters and a couple of desserts. He said it put a hurting on his golf game for the whole weekend but he couldn't resist.

Susan

Otter wrote"

.. Capt George's is pretty impressive but I hear the Nordic Lodge in RI has

it beat. I might come out of retirement for that one!

Good idea, Otter, but prepare yourself. My husband and 7 golfing buddies used to stop at the Nordic Lodge en route to an annual golfing weekend in Newport. He couldn't stop talking about how he couldn't even try the raw bars and U-10 shrimp loaded on his plate because of the pile of lobsters in front of him, not to mention the enormous variety of other kinds of food, all very expertly prepared. And, he is a pretty good eater himself though he would call it a day at 5 or 6 lobsters and a couple of desserts. He said it put a hurting on his golf game for the whole weekend but he couldn't resist.

Susan

Aw shucks........ ;);)

T Rex

I can't even begin to imagine all you can eat lobsters, scallops, wet bar, blue crabs, etc. I would want to be like a cow, except I would not do the ruminating piece. I would just fill up each stomach. A stomach for lobster and blue crabs, and a stomach for scallops, raw oysters, and dessert! I just finished a late dinner from a place called Hellas. I love crab cakes. They have the best crab cakes that I have eaten anywhere. Huge jumbo lumps are held together with claw meat and just a little corn meal binder. Has anyone ever used the kooker to do something like a clam bake? You know, layer the items with some seaweed? Do you think that is doable, like, if you use the lower grill to support the pile and cook it low and slow with the deflector? :D