LarryR

Cooking for a week on a single load of fuel

Last Friday night I loaded Hestia up with between 7 and 8 lbs (didn't weigh but it was less than 1/2 an 18 lb bag) of Rancher and did a 20 hour low and slow cook (Brisket and then a fattie). The fuel basket was filled to just over the top of the basket and I had three very good size chunks of pecan buried in the fuel, larger than fist size, probably closer to double fist size. When I opened her up to clean her on Sunday I was blown away as there was still about 2/3 (or more see pic below) of the fuel left.

Monday two cooks in one, carne asada and pollo asada and then 12 lbs of chicken thighs. I only added 6 or 7 lit briquettes to the left over fuel.

Friday garlic burgers and brats with only 6 or 7 lit added to the left over fuel.

Saturday grilled mixed veggies and then I threw on some tequila lime shrimp.

After the veggie and shrimp cook I decided this load of fuel had done it's job so I opened her up and burned all leftover gunk off. She ran for about two hours at 500 before starting to lose temp. Remarkable! Also wanted to add is with all cooks with the exception of the brisket/fattie I add the lit, bring her up to about 375 and let her heat soak for about an hour before starting my cook.

Absolutely amazing fuel economy.

Here's a photo after the 20 hr brisket fattie cook:

th_NoFoilBrisketCoals1.jpg